Snow Tyre size and chains

/ Tyre size and chains #1  

DaveUK

Tractor
YM1700
I have a YM1700, and am looking for chains for the upcoming winter. I have the original jap tyres with the big cleats - size 8.4/8 - 24. I spoke to a supplier, and they have chains for tyre size 8.3/8 - 24. So my question is, what do the numbers mean (obviously the 24 is the rim diameter), and will chains for 8.3 be suitable for 8.4?

/ Tyre size and chains #2  
I thought the 8.3 (or 8.4) represented the distance from the rim to the outer edge of the tire, but I could be wrong about that. All you really need for tire chains is the outer diameter of the tire and the width of the tire; if you find something close, chains on a tractor tire don't need to be an exact fit.

I'm quite curious how well chains work on rice tires. I would think the chains would work their way down between the lugs and do nothing. Has anyone tried that combination with any success?

/ Tyre size and chains #3  
... they have chains for tyre size 8.3/8 - 24.
I would research this more before spending money. That might be chains for a truck tire size instead of a tractor tire.

It is my understanding that the first number (8.3 here) is the width of the tire casing at the widest point, the number you need for arranging dual wheels that won't touch. So your 8.4 rice tires might be only slightly wider, but possibly with those big cleats they might be far taller and 8.3 chains would be too short. I think you will have to experiment with several sizes to find a fit. You might measure the circumference by marking a cleat with chalk and observing the chalk marks left on asphalt, to get a first rough estimate.

I read here - no personal experience - that tractor chains for ice don't need as many links touching the ground as you would want for an automobile driven in traffic. Apparently some slip reduces stress, and the chance of breaking a chain, with a tractor's greater torque.

If I were doing this project: Used tire chains from a second-hand store here are dirt cheap. I would buy 2-3 used sets, string them together to get the necessary length, then cut to fit. You might need to add a chain parallel to the side chains but in the center of the tread, so there is always chain between the cleats and the ground.

Hopefully someone with practical experience will respond here. :D

/ Tyre size and chains #4  
Around here, at yard sales, chains, brand new sell for a buck or two. A pair of bolt cutters, and some time, I think that you might make some. Opps, I need to be doing that my self right now.

/ Tyre size and chains
I've been looking for used ones, but can't find any the right size. So is it ok to get larger ones (larger diameter and width) and cut them down? Does it matter if they are too wide, as they will just wrap around a bit more, surely?

/ Tyre size and chains #6  
I would expect that to work fine.

/ Tyre size and chains #7  
Around here, yard, tag, sales have tire chains almost every week. They sell for around a buck a set, or less. A pair of bolt cutters and a few sets of these might work for you. I am a cheap sob, and have been thinking about chains as well, and know that I have several sets from cars that I don't have anymore, that I might be able to make work. I have not been motivated to do this as if the tractor needs chains, the weather, will be the pitts, and not sure that I want to be operating in that.