Can I fix my table saw motor?

/ Can I fix my table saw motor? #1  

GGB

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 2032R, John Deere Z930M, John Deere 455, John Deere XUV825i w/Deluxe Cab & Roll Down Windows, Snow Blade
Another thread reminded me of a question I've wanted to ask for some time.

I've got a Ryobi woodworking table saw which served my needs very well, that is until I killed it trying to do dado cuts too aggressively. I just was taking too large a cut, and would have been fine if I'd just done an eighth of an inch or so at a tiem, but NOOOOO......I got in a hurry, and was taking way too much with each cut. Almost no warning before it quit. It really had handled the cuts up to the point it died. I had hoped it was just overheated, and that I could hit the reset button, but I wasn't that lucky.

So now I'm using it as an expensive router table, but sure would be nice to have it back working again for a new project I'm getting ready to start. Is it worth trying to fix the motor, or should I just cut my losses and buy a new table saw? I'm not afraid to tear it apart, but don't have much experience on electric motors other than replacing brushes, but I have experience rebuilding old generators, alternators and starters from cars. Thanks!

GGB

/ Can I fix my table saw motor? #2  
Take it to a motor shop. They'll check it, rewind it or whatever.

/ Can I fix my table saw motor? #3  
I just took apart my ryobi 3100 saw to seperate the aluminum from the steel for scrap. A new motor for this saw($224 + shipping) costs more than a used saw on Craigslist. I was pissed that an otherwise great saw was made worthless by a less than robust motor. I must admit I was able to use this saw for light work for 19 years but the design was flawed. As soon as people besides me started using it , it was doomed.

/ Can I fix my table saw motor? #4  
Picture of the saw?
Does int have a separate motor and blade spindle, or does the blade mount on the motor shaft?
If the blade mounts to the motor, I would take it into a shop and have them work it over. You should be able to get it repaired. Our large (3/4 horse?) motor for the hay elevator stopped starting and we were able to get it rebuilt (including new bearings and a new pulley) for about $120

Aaron Z

/ Can I fix my table saw motor?
The blade does mount to the motor. I'll try to get a picture of it a little later when I'm out at the barn. Thanks.

GGB