Land clearing attachment suggestions for the BX?

/ Land clearing attachment suggestions for the BX? #1  

Tollster

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, BX23
Tractor is a BX23, land is on a sloping knob with hardwoods, and pines, ground is moist with moderate slope, intermittent rocky ridge line, with shale type base, numerous large flat rocks projecting at various angles, ranging in size from 10 to 1500lbs.
I have the alternator upgrade and plan on additional lighting. Item I was considering are:
1: Broteck fan guard
http://www.bro-tek.biz/Bro-Tek_BX-M-...nstruction.pdf
2; Brotech Thumb
http://www.bro-tek.biz/BX-BH-TTL_Thumb_Instruction.pdf
3:Broteck ripper tooth
http://www.bro-tek.biz/BX-R-Tooth_Instruction.pdf
4: And possibly a Longs wear blade:
Wear Blades WB and IWB

Anyone have experience with any of these items, curious how the ripper would hold up? Tempered steel perhaps?
Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks,
Toll NEPA

/ Land clearing attachment suggestions for the BX? #2  
I would be cautious running a sub compact tractor around rocks protruding up above the surface. Your BX isn't made for this type of work. You need to use a tractor with more ground clearance.

/ Land clearing attachment suggestions for the BX? #3  
I'm in the same boat. I wish I had the rocks though. I'm currently working on a DIY brush fork and I will post pics when finished in the next day or two. :thumbsup:

/ Land clearing attachment suggestions for the BX? #4  
It's a case of David vs Goliath, but your BX doesn't have a slingshot!

I would just find a guy with a D5 or D6 dozer, pay him $1000, settle in to a comfy chair, pop open an adult beverage and watch the show. It will get done quicker and cheaper than you buying all that stuff and probably damaging your tractor in the attempt.

/ Land clearing attachment suggestions for the BX? #5  
It will get done quicker and cheaper than you buying all that stuff and probably damaging your tractor in the attempt.

But what fun would that be? :D

/ Land clearing attachment suggestions for the BX? #6  
If you go with the dozer suggestion you could still get a boxblade and a landscape rake (rock rake) and do the final cleanup behind the dozer with your BX.

/ Land clearing attachment suggestions for the BX? #7  
I would be cautious running a sub compact tractor around rocks protruding up above the surface. Your BX isn't made for this type of work. You need to use a tractor with more ground clearance.

It's a case of David vs Goliath, but your BX doesn't have a slingshot!

I would just find a guy with a D5 or D6 dozer, pay him $1000, settle in to a comfy chair, pop open an adult beverage and watch the show. It will get done quicker and cheaper than you buying all that stuff and probably damaging your tractor in the attempt.

Sorry, but agree with the fellas above. First big rock and you split the low slung, cast alloy transmission case, or crack the front axle or goodness knows what you'd feel really bad, especially in the wallet.

Read today's post by David s VG here: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/221150-transmission-fan-shot.html

/ Land clearing attachment suggestions for the BX? #8  
Wow, buzz killer responses. Guess I'd have to see a pic of the area you're wanting to clear. I assume you'd be cutting the trees with a chain saw, then digging out the stumps? Could be tough slogging with a BX since you basically have to excavate further out from the stump where the roots are narrower and can be broken with the hoe, though a ripper should help but I've never used one. I have taken out large rocks up to about 1000lbs with my BX (had to pull it out of the hole with a chain to the drawbar). You will have to do a lot of repositioning for any large rocks or stumps which makes the going slow. A full metal jacket for the underside of your BX would be advisable.

For sure it would be time consuming and put considerable wear'n'tare on your BX23 but it would not be impossible (subject to actually seeing what you're up against). Got any pic's?

/ Land clearing attachment suggestions for the BX? #9  
Wow, buzz killer responses.

:D Chris, we didn't mean to sound like a bunch of crotchety old men, well, maybe not all of us.

I guess we just dislike the possibility of taking on more than what the machine really is designed for. Maybe we have just become like the Old Man who used to warn us. There's an inner voice inside most of us guys, from the past. We can hear it. "Now son, there's no sense in just tearin' up good equipment." :D

/ Land clearing attachment suggestions for the BX? #10  
You need this!

New BXpanded PIRANHA Tooth Bar! Designed for digging and clearing. Serious 1/2" thick steel absolutely eats up brush and saplings. Too new for the website, but the BX model is available now at only $229 (plus shipping). The Kubota BX model even lets you use the BXpanded Quick-On forks to easily haul off that pile of clutter you just ripped through. Other versions available. THIS THING WORKS!
Made in the USA by a proud TBN Sponsor

For more info email contact@BXpanded.com or call 704-419-5332

Attachments

• P9290031.jpg
    P9290031.jpg
    731.9 KB · Views: 251
  • P9290033.jpg
    P9290033.jpg
    614.9 KB · Views: 210
  • P9290046.jpg
    P9290046.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 247