New to me 186d

/ New to me 186d #1  

ssg510

Silver Member
You know the story. If one tractor is good then two or three tractors must be great. At least thats what I tell my wife. Have been keeping my eye out for that nice, well maintained etc 186d for a few years now. Kept missing out on some and others not so nice. Enter rmurry and his post last Monday about good deals on C.L. in North Carolina. I look and there it is calling my name. I grab the phone, go into the farthest room so the wife does not hear my conversation, and call the man about his treasure. "Yes I still have it, but the phone has been ringing off the hookabout it." We make the deal and I drive the two and one half hours to get it. The man represents it well. 440 hours, purchased by a church new in 1983, the year I graduated high school, kept inside. Sold to a fire departmet a couple years ago they put about one hour a week on it with the Woods 60" finish mower. He buys it last saturday at the fire dept auction for a steal and is reselling. Although it is not mint, few30 year tractors are, it is as nice as any I have seen in some time. Paint in great condition, old wax that was missed when they must have waxed it. no dents, evertying in great working order. Only thing missing was the original dip stick. I load it up but the trailer was loader heavy in the back because of the mower. Drove home at 50 mph up Int 77 and got home at eleven at night. Yes its just another tractor to some but as you all know these little yanmars are quality equipment. What you get for your money is, in my opinion a steal. Im going to clean her up this weekend, as my wife says, just rub on it all day. Hope you enjoy the story. I allways love hearing about someone going after and buying an old tractor. Photos to come.

/ New to me 186d
Just a couple of photos. Can anyone tell me the gray market or John Deere tractor that is close to the 186. thanks

Attachments

• 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    717.8 KB · Views: 1,920
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    592.7 KB · Views: 1,234
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    608.3 KB · Views: 978
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    625.8 KB · Views: 607
   / New to me 186d #4  
Very nice one, I'm jealous of your fat tire kit. The JD equivalent is the 650, I believe the gray is 1510 but not sure.

/ New to me 186d
Thanks. Just been messing with the tractor a little. It smokes some and when under a load. Wonder what I can do to clear it up a little? what wheels and tires do you have.

/ New to me 186d #6  
Very nice one, I'm jealous of your fat tire kit. The JD equivalent is the 650, I believe the gray is 1510 but not sure.

The John Deere 650 is a 2 cylinder. Might still be the closest.

/ New to me 186d #7  
The 1510 is the grey market equivalent to the 186. As for the smoke......try putting some "Diesel Kleen" (gray bottle) in your next few tanks. Some smoke at start up is normal.......this product worked for me on my 186D.:thumbsup:

/ New to me 186d #8  
They JD 650 has some other differences too if you look at pics, but it is the closest I've seen.

My tires are the narrow diamond tread turfs. 6-12 front and 9.5-16 rear. I've actually never uploaded pics of mine, here it is.

Attachments

• DSCF1594a.jpg
    DSCF1594a.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 745
   / New to me 186d #9  
Deere 650 is the same size category and age but I don't think they are twins.

TractorData specs: Yanmar / Deere

Manual transmission vs Powershift, 2 cyl vs 3 cyl, 2 more horsepower on the Yanmar.

2 gallon fuel tank difference. (Deere must have a larger cowl, there's no space for a 50% larger fuel tank on YM186).

Looking at pictures it's obvious they came out of the same factory but I don't see the adjustable width rear axle or the same air cleaner on the Deeres.

I doubt there is much that would interchange beyond parts that are shared among many models - alternator etc.

As for YM186D / YM1501D - these are approximately the same tractor with different options for the US market. Internal pto overrun 'clutch' (ratchet), throttle is pull to shut off per US standards, ROPS, hydraulic filter, different air cleaner and tire sizes. I've read that the front axle assemblies are different.

Now if I could only find a YM186D as clean as yours! :)

/ New to me 186d
Deere 650 is the same size category and age but I don't think they are twins.

TractorData specs: Yanmar / Deere

Manual transmission vs Powershift, 2 cyl vs 3 cyl, 2 more horsepower on the Yanmar.

2 gallon fuel tank difference. (Deere must have a larger cowl, there's no space for a 50% larger fuel tank on YM186).

Looking at pictures it's obvious they came out of the same factory but I don't see the adjustable width rear axle or the same air cleaner on the Deeres.

I doubt there is much that would interchange beyond parts that are shared among many models - alternator etc.

As for YM186D / YM1501D - these are approximately the same tractor with different options for the US market. Internal pto overrun 'clutch' (ratchet), throttle is pull to shut off per US standards, ROPS, hydraulic filter, different air cleaner and tire sizes. I've read that the front axle assemblies are different.

Now if I could only find a YM186D as clean as yours! :)

My pto macks a loud clicking sound when i press the clutch after the rear pto driven mower is running. Guess that is the clutch. Don't have that on my 1401d.