New Owner Ford 4000

/ New Owner Ford 4000 #1  

Bamaram

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 4000
Got a few quick maintenance questions. I just bought the Ford 4000 and I'm going through changing all the fluids and filters and plugs and that sort of thing. I drained my hydraulic and transmission fluid and it came out milky. I've seen this in the N series tractors as water leaks in and turns the fluid milky. What is the best way to get that milky fluid out? Once, I was brave and put a few gallons of diesel in the trans/hydrualics of a 8N and let it run and it cleaned it nicely. Some thought that was an awesome idea and some though I was stupid :confused: I'm considering doing that to my 4000. Any suggestions? Any better options?

/ New Owner Ford 4000 #2  
would be great to know if this is a 4 cyl or a 3 cyl.

If a 4 cyl I'd flush the wet sumps with a mix of diesel and atf fluid.

if it's a 3 cyl I wouldn't, as it has wet brakes that may not like it.

Keep in mind that due to the size of those sumps, even if you do drain and flush.. it will likely emulsify again.

If a 3 cyl, go buy some cheap utf fluid like accell 303 fluid at tractor supply. ( 25$ for 5g in my area) should be FINE for an old tractor like that 4000.. put a few gallons in the wet sumps, along with a can of transtune seafoam, run her around, then drain warm. the seafoam will disolve the water ( water is polar.. and alcohol is a polar solvent ).. this will let the water flush out in soloution vs suspension or emulsion.

the sloshing around will get any emulsified water clinging to the sump walls.. etc.

then, refill with whatever oil you are going to use for her, meeting the ford M2C134 spec.

etc.

( the 303 fluid is PROBABLY fine for that.. though doesn't list a specific spec, just says ok for older tractors and hyd systems... IMHO.. I'd 'upgrade' to a walmart or the traveler UTF fluid that actually did list the spec though... again.. if this is a 3 cyl jobber.. etc. brakes might get loud otherwise.. )

soundguy

/ New Owner Ford 4000
Thanks Soundguy,

This 4000 is indeed a 3cy Gas with wet brakes. I'll grab 5 gallons of the cheap stuff as I bought one to many of the travlers UTF and some seafoam and give her a go. Definitely don't want those wet brakes giving me any trouble. I appreciate the help!

/ New Owner Ford 4000 #4  
yep...

soundguy