Thoughts on a Case IH Farmall 60

/ Thoughts on a Case IH Farmall 60 #1  

High Brook Hills

Bronze Member
Tractor
Case Farmall IH 60
We did a reverse auction for pricing on multiple makes and models. In the end the best pricing for the money came in as a Case IH Farmall 60 that had sat on their lot for some time. In comparison of HP per dollar and value of the equipment to the dollar the Case could not be beat. We did consider an interesting Deere but it was significantly more and a slightly larger McCormick with a cab that was the same price as the Case but the dealer shipped it out before we replied, missed by one day.

After a summer of usage we have the following thoughts. For comparison, Farming is not our way of making a living but we are trying to turn a slight profit (which is NOT easy!!!). We have stepped up from a Farmall B (original family of owners from 1946), a Massey Ferguson 180 Diesel (Perkins, very good engine but the clutch went out and there were many other things going wrong). Wife has been mainly on the B and several Deeres including 100HP models.

Our little beast has 12 X 12 forward/reverse shuttle shifting, MFWD, locking differential (manual), FEL model 360 w/6ft universal bucket, 3100lb lift 3pt, independent PTO, assembled in Georgia.

The lights are lined up well. We like having the full lights and the blinking lights on top. It has been useful to have the 7pt wiring harness plug and the cigarette plug. Power steering has also been a nice to have, Wife likes the tilt steering wheel. We have found the adjustable/extendable 3pt sway bars to be very helpful. The lift and draft on the 3pt has been very nice. We found a gooseneck hitch for the 3pt and the tractor easily moves our trailers around.

I strongly recommend the universal mount front end loader (FEL). It has been most useful! it is even strong enough to pull 14" posts out of the ground.

We use a very old and heavy bush hog mower to counter weight the FEL. Without the counter weight we could not have used the FEL to move bucket loads of gravel. The FEL does stick out some from the front of the machine.

I have found the PTO puts out a lot of torque. We have sheared many shear bolts/pins while running the mower and the auger.

I have not done a study of the amount of fuel use but it does use less than the Farmall B did. I am not sure about the Massey.

I like the way the hydraulic lines are put in use. There are hard lines on the right hand side and the lines going up the FEL are hard and attached close to the frame. I am not a fan of the flexible lines hanging low below the deck. My neighbors 5000 series Deere has had issues with the lines hanging so low. The have caught on debris and stumps and pulled loose. I have seen the same issue on New Hollands and Kubotas.

The 3pt is more than strong enough to lift 2200 pound round bales. It has also been able to help drive the auger better than any other tractor we have used for that effort.

In just over 50 hours of use the only complaint we have, well besides the shear pins, is related to our land. The land is a bit rolling and this tractor does feel a bit tippy if pushed on a slope. We could not get the B anywhere near a slope but the Massey did not feel uncomfortable with slopes. I will see about extending the tyres so as to give a wider footprint.

Wife says it is the easiest tractor she has ever used. The 60HP has been plenty for us. The FEL and the MFWD are somethings we would prefer to not be without.

/ Thoughts on a Case IH Farmall 60 #2  
We have a Farmall 50 that we have about 280 hours on. It has the 12X12 transmission, 350 FEL and MFWD like yours. We've been pleased with the tractor and our dealer. As you mentioned, counter weight is needed on the tractor if you are using the loader to lift anything heavy. We used the tractor for mowing this summer and will be using it in the timber and on a wood chipper again this winter.

The only complaint is that the fuel filter is difficult to service on our tractor. Any ideas from the group?

/ Thoughts on a Case IH Farmall 60
Just to post a follow-up on our ownership.

Fluids, filters replaced at 50 hour intervals.

Fuel consumption has still not been maintained, sorry about that! It does not appear atrocious so we should be good.

I only worry about tipping with this tractor so extending the wheels out was important.

I hauled ~11,000 pounds behind the tractor up a steep hill without any hitches, she just pulled and went without a hiccup!

I would not wish to be without this tractor! No issues thus far as we approach the end of the first year of ownership. Oh, and no bad winter weather so we do not know how well it would work in snow.

Another year with this baby and we just love it even more!

Only complaint: The tractor feels tippy especially as compared to the Farmall B, Massey 180, Deere 5305 and 6010. Very, very tippy. It has never tipped and we have some steep hills but it does not lend to wishing to be any sort of sideways! The Massey was definately the most stable platform of the group named above.

No issues, no breakages.

Cut and baled about 9 acres using a JD350 sickle bar, NH 54 rake, and NH Haybine square baler. Did it all with about seven gallons of fuel. Very hard to believe but these are all very low impact pieces of equipment.

Running the large Bush Hog (very old, very heavy) uses about two gallons per hour at a constant 2400 RPM with the heavy load.

Normal fluid/filter changes. Starts everytime.

Stored in the barn with no animal access.

I really, really appreciate the way the hydraulics are plumbed!!!! I do not have lines hanging down below the fram and have steel lines running up the FEL! No issues, no line breakages. My friends/family with similar uses of equipment are replacing lines several times a year and buying more hydraulic fluid. I still have plenty in the five gallon drum even after helping fill up a buddies system.

All in all, I would definately do this again!!!

Usage: Post holes, stretch fencing, hay production, gravel/sand/dirt/material movement, loading trailers (front forks! with FEL), grading, mowing, stump/tree removal, moving trailers (have a trailer ball attachment for 3 pt hitch) loaded and unloaded, lifting material to higher level (like a forklift), lifting mowers for maintenance, and leading cows.

Hmmm, cannot edit my post! Wife noted that I miscounted my refueling! Make that 12 gallons as I used 2.4 containers of fuel.

I did 10 acres this past week with the same implements and went through almost 11 gallons of fuel. Difference? I cleaned out the air filter and the screen in front of the radiator. The equipment also received fresh lubrication as per maintenance schedules. Need to rethink greasing to a more often topping off!

The rake I am just going with low RPMs and a higher gear. We "fly" through the fields MED 4 or HIGH 1 and about 1000 to 1200 RPM. After alot of work on the baler we were going in MED 2 at 2200 RPM making bales at a good clip. The Deere 350 is running at 2300 RPM and I alternate between LOW 4, MED 1, and MED 2 depending upon thickness and how the unit is cutting at the moment. New blades and a general overhaul at the beginning of the season. Lusting after a better cutting unit and a Hesston in-line baler. LOVE the 1950's rake!

/ Thoughts on a Case IH Farmall 60 #6  
IMG_0867[1].jpg
CASE IH FARMALL 60 B (Australian spec) The Little red Case has done a power of work since July, spraying, sowing,mowing, raking, baling, general farm stuff.
150 hours up, no dramas, 2 small issues, the right side power steer hose rubs on chassis rail, fixed with a sleeve of old radiator hose, and a clevis pin falling out of clutch pedal linkage, both fixed at home easily , The Case Farmall 60B (LS Mrtron) is solid and easy to live with, mowing is the toughest job (6 disk Krone AM234S) she drinks a bit of fuel, but, she is working hard, really happy with my tractor, only annoying thing is the clutch pedal is a bit close to body work, my big feet don't fit on pedal and sometimes don't get a smooth gear change.
Overall rating 9/10

/ Thoughts on a Case IH Farmall 60 #7  
View attachment 397229
CASE IH FARMALL 60 B (Australian spec) The Little red Case has done a power of work since July, spraying, sowing,mowing, raking, baling, general farm stuff.
150 hours up, no dramas, 2 small issues, the right side power steer hose rubs on chassis rail, fixed with a sleeve of old radiator hose, and a clevis pin falling out of clutch pedal linkage, both fixed at home easily , The Case Farmall 60B (LS Mrtron) is solid and easy to live with, mowing is the toughest job (6 disk Krone AM234S) she drinks a bit of fuel, but, she is working hard, really happy with my tractor, only annoying thing is the clutch pedal is a bit close to body work, my big feet don't fit on pedal and sometimes don't get a smooth gear change.
Overall rating 9/10

UPDATE:
250 hours up. all good with tractor , no issues at all, has done the ploughing and sowing , still loading hay and general farm stuff, really happy with the performance. BUT,
OIL FILTERS, can't get them, it seems that the filters in the CNH Parts box Part# MT40006986 aren't the right filter, well it doesn't fit my tractor, the original LS Filter is Pt# 40006986 but it aint the same, thats a fail CNH.
am trying to track down filters through LS importer

/ Thoughts on a Case IH Farmall 60 #8  
UPDATE:
250 hours up. all good with tractor , no issues at all, has done the ploughing and sowing , still loading hay and general farm stuff, really happy with the performance. BUT,
OIL FILTERS, can't get them, it seems that the filters in the CNH Parts box Part# MT40006986 aren't the right filter, well it doesn't fit my tractor, the original LS Filter is Pt# 40006986 but it aint the same, thats a fail CNH.

Your post was a while ago but I just wondered how the 60B is going if you still have it? I'd also like to ask you a couple of questions if possible?

An oil filter for your tractor that should fit is an AC Delco (GM) AC05.

GM Part # 19266397
Type Oil
Filter Detail Full Flow Canister
Filter Type Spin-On
By Pass Valve YES
Anti Drain Back YES
Height 1 99
OD 1 80
Thread 1 M20X1.5
Dual Flow NO

An AC07 is also a filter that will fit and is not as high as the AC05 if you do not have the room:-

GM Part # 19266413
Type Oil
Filter Detail Full Flow Canister
Filter Type Spin-On
By Pass Valve YES
Anti Drain Back YES
Height 1 74
OD 1 80
Thread 1 M20X1.5
Dual Flow NO

You should be able to order them through any Holden Dealer.

/ Thoughts on a Case IH Farmall 60 #9  
Hi
Did you sort alternate filter options in the end?

UPDATE:

/ Thoughts on a Case IH Farmall 60 #10  
Hi BP,
Just clicked up 750 hours, and have not had any trouble, did break a bolt on left side of FEL mount from being stupid, and the front tyres have worn badly from traveling on bitumen roads,
so at 750 hours i changed ALL the oils and filters and adjusted the tappets which were on the loose side but that can be expected. The 60B has been an outstanding little utility tractor, am buying another with a cab this time to add to the fleet.

I get filters through the NH dealer now WIX didnt have a cross reference either.