Using mixed oil in EU2000

/ Using mixed oil in EU2000 #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
A while back there was a post talking about ppl using their mixed 2 stroke gas in their lawnmowers as a way to use it up before it went stale..

I dont use that much 2 stroke mix, so a gallon would last me several years it if would let it..

To use it up I have been adding my 'older' mixed gas to the straight gas for use in my push mower as a way to use it up.. It ends up being a pretty weak mix

Would you think i would hurt my Honda EU2000 generator by running it? I dont see how it would hurt, but thought I would ask just in case..

Brian

/ Using mixed oil in EU2000 #2  
I would suggest that you use that mixed gas in a larger engine such as your truck or car (an eight cylinder engine) not a one cylinder engine. I would definitely use fresh gas in you one cylinder generator motor. Also if you can purchase gasoline without ethanol, that would be my preference for all of you two stoke or small engine equipment.

Gary

/ Using mixed oil in EU2000
Thanks for you thoughts gbomalley - with the smaller carb ect in the eu, i wasnt sure how/if it would work..

I am trying to buy ethanol free gas (and add stabil) - BUT since the place around here only has 1 hose for all three grades (and the premium is non-ethanol), I have to make a special trip in my wifes car (my truck is diesel) so the I have someplace to put the ethanol gas until the hose is emptied

Brian

/ Using mixed oil in EU2000 #4  
I use only premium in my small engines and power tools. I would be a little cautious with fuel additives on small engines as it may not work as expected in a small engine, small carb like it is designed for in a larger engine. Due to state law in Washington, it is difficult to get non-ethanol fuels so I have to be extra careful with small engines in the off season. Drain the tanks or run them often.

Good luck.

/ Using mixed oil in EU2000 #5  
I would think that mixed gas would have more of an effect on something like a truck with all the sensors and all than a simple engine

regarding 'be a little cautious with fuel additivies' do you mean the stabil or 2 stroke oil mix?

brian

I use only premium in my small engines and power tools. I would be a little cautious with fuel additives on small engines as it may not work as expected in a small engine, small carb like it is designed for in a larger engine. Due to state law in Washington, it is difficult to get non-ethanol fuels so I have to be extra careful with small engines in the off season. Drain the tanks or run them often.

Good luck.

I would think that mixed gas would have more of an effect on something like a truck with all the sensors and all than a simple engine

I was wondering the same thing.. So far I have only added the 2 stroke mix to fresh fuel and ran it through the push mower - but I considered adding it to my wifes vehicle (subaru), but was wondering if it would mess the sensors up..

b

/ Using mixed oil in EU2000 #8  
Thatguy: I was trying to address your original question including your desire to save a rather small quantity of old gas. Best judgement would say, be careful of attempting to save a small quantity of old gas but if you do I would still recommend diluting it as previously stated and put it in your vehicle; diluted with a tank of gas isn't going to have any affect on your sensors whatsoever. Also, if a gallon would "last you several years" then don't buy a gallon to begin with. Gasoline does not last that long and is more harmful to any size engine but certainly small engines / carburetor. Mix a half gallon if that is all you can use in a season, then your other question is solved.

Next, on fuel additives, (and I'm not talking about 2-cycle oil) one should be careful of the proper use and application and benefit and risk of a fuel additive. You really should get some real advice from an experienced mechanic and one that has all of the facts of your application. I would not recommend adding just any "fuel additive" to gasoline especially if you think it would be good to have it sit in the tank for a season while the equipment / vehicle isn't being used. That purpose is generally not what fuel additives are intended for or how they are designed to be used and often times will cause more harm by sitting in your carburetor for prolonged periods of time.

Save your self some money and agony and keep fresh fuel in your tank and that is all you need to do.

/ Using mixed oil in EU2000 #9  
Ditto on the fresh fuel! 2 stroke mix has a less than 30 day life on my place. If I even think it is old, I pour it in the car or old tractor. BTW: I have been using 2 stroke mix for years in the lawn mower with no issue. For no other reason than being lazy. .....

/ Using mixed oil in EU2000 #10  
I dont use that much 2 stroke mix, so a gallon would last me several years it if would let it..

Why mix a whole gallon then?;)
Find a small container and only mix what you'd use in, say, a month:thumbsup: