Bought My Dream Tractor

/ Bought My Dream Tractor #1  

1963Deere3010guy

As far east in Georgia as you can get with out get
Tractor
1963 JD 3010 NFW
Hello Every One,

Last Saturday I bought my dream tractor from the grandson of the original owner, a 1963 3010 with a narrow front end. The reason it is my dream tractor is that my grandfather had a 1963 WF 3010 and I grew up on it. I spent alot of time on the fender of it bailing hay for his dairy. I saw it on Craigslist a month after it was posted about 3 hrs from my house. I just knew it was sold because of the price, but I called any way. I was shocked it was still there, we talked and told him my story and said that he would hold it for me. 3 weeks later with a rented trailer, me and my 2 boy left home at 5am to go get it, I am so proud to have it home.

I bought it knowing it had a leak in the fuel tank and that it would have to come out. I got it out and had no problem finding the leak. My local JD dealer reccomended a shop to repair the tank, a new one is $980. While it was out the guy I buy hay from told me I needed to change the return hose from the oil cooler to the hydraulic pump. I removed the oil cooler and decided to clean the radiator, bad idea, now I have bought a new radiator.

I still am very happy with my tractor, when I get it back together next week I will have about $4K in it. It will have 2 new front tires, a repaired fuel tank, a new radiator, a fresh engine and hydraulic oil change, replacement of all the rubber hoses that I can find and 2 new battery's.

I have decide not to paint the old girl, she has all her original sheet metal except the new battery boxes that the previous owner bought and installed. I am going to degrease her real good, maybe put a wax and buff job on her but thats it.

I will try and get some pics up soon.

1963Deere3010guy

/ Bought My Dream Tractor #2  
Welcome to TBN. :)

/ Bought My Dream Tractor #4  
WELCOME to TBN :)

I moved your thread to the Owning/Operating Forum.

/ Bought My Dream Tractor #5  
enjoy that tractor.you cant beat buying your dream tractor.

/ Bought My Dream Tractor #6  
Great story and welcone to TBN. I'm a GA native myself. Was born in Athens. Got on my UGA shirt right now.:laughing: Craigslist is the best yard sale/ fleamarket I've ever been to.:thumbsup: Great find. Can't wait to see some pics.

/ Bought My Dream Tractor #7  
Congrats, show us pics.
Mark

/ Bought My Dream Tractor #8  
Excellent story Deereguy. Congrats and post some pics when you can.

/ Bought My Dream Tractor
The only pics I have right now are the ones the seller sent me and they aren't very good. I just picked up my oil cooler from the repair shop this evening, it had a small leak that he took care of.

My tractor now has a new radiator, a repaired oil cooler, a repaired fuel tank, all new hoses, and a new fuel level float. I picked up today from a semi truck salvage yard the rubber strips that goes between the straps and tank, to put between my bands and the fuel tank, all for $10. Tomorrow I pick up the last of the parts I need to reassemble every thing and should have my baby running by Thursday night.

I will post pics after I get it going again, maybe a few of the reassembly time.

As an addition to my tractor, I bought a like new Brown 472 rotory mower for $1k, my local TS wanted $890 for the one they sell. The best part is that it is green like my tractor.

Thanks for all the encouragement!

1963jd3010guy

/ Bought My Dream Tractor #10  
Man, that's great; lucky you!! That's like buying back your first car. While we're waiting, you can see pics of this model of tractor on Google Images - just enter "John Deere 3010."