Need sector gear for Lawn Chief 440 Riding Lawn Mower

/ Need sector gear for Lawn Chief 440 Riding Lawn Mower #1  

Steven Eaton

Tractor
Mid 90s Lawn Chief 440 Model # 289707
I have a Lawn Chief 440 Riding Lawn Mower & need a new steering sector gear. If you have one in good shape or know where I can find one, please let me know. Used or new doesn't matter.

I was unable to read the tractor model # as it was worn off the tag, but there are a few other #s that may help track down the part:

Lawn Chief 125 IC
True Value Engine 289707
Type 0121 01 Code 9305064E1

Attachments

• STEERING SECTOR GEAR.jpg
    STEERING SECTOR GEAR.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 707
   / Need sector gear for Lawn Chief 440 Riding Lawn Mower #2  
That looks an awful lot like the sector gear on a Noma (Murray) I had a couple of years ago. See page "J" here

It had belonged to a neighbour of mine and I'd done a bit of maintenance on it for him before he died and then the family gave it to me. One of the problems with it was a worn sector gear. First I tried filing the worn teeth deeper and squeezing the gear, but that didn't really work. I then found that adjusting the bottom steering column bearing closer for more tooth engagement did the trick. The part of the sector gear opening opposite the teeth has to bear against a ring on the steering column to keep the teeth engaged.

If this Murray is indeed similar to yours, then take a look at the front axle assembly as well. The one I had was a flimsy sheet metal fabrication with poor welds. It collapsed on the previous owner after the steering went to full lock when the sector gear slipped. It would be easier to reinforce the welds before you have to hammer it all back together.

/ Need sector gear for Lawn Chief 440 Riding Lawn Mower
Thanks for your reply oldyellr. The part looked similar, however, when I contacted the manufacturer they said they could no longer get it.

If it helps, I found the model # part # I'm looking for. Model # Lawn Chief 440AL, part # 094680 (Murray part). Any other suggestions?

/ Need sector gear for Lawn Chief 440 Riding Lawn Mower #4  
No suggestions, other than trying to repair what you have. Good luck.