Balloon trick for protecting hydraulic fittings

/ Balloon trick for protecting hydraulic fittings #1  

Mosey

Veteran Member
Tractor
2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.
Here's a cheap easy method of keeping the dirt, dust and moisture out of hydraulic hose connections. I got some balloons and cut the last 1/2" or so off the end, so it has a hole at both ends. Before I hook the hydraulic line to the tractor, I put the balloon over it and fold it back out of the way (the balloon on the top fitting in the picture is still folded back). Then I hook up the line and stretch the balloon back over the fitting (the balloon on the bottom fitting in the picture is stretched back over the fitting). It does a great job of keeping dirt and moisture out of the fitting, and catches any seepage.

250210-balloontrick1.jpg

Attachments

• 250210-balloontrick1.jpg
    250210-balloontrick1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 450
   / Balloon trick for protecting hydraulic fittings #2  
Cool. I wonder if an old bike inner tube would work. I'll try it sometime.

/ Balloon trick for protecting hydraulic fittings
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I wonder if an old bike inner tube would work.)</font>

That's a good idea! It would be thicker, so it would last longer and hold up better to pressure washing. The balloons will deteriorate after a while and have to be replaced.

/ Balloon trick for protecting hydraulic fittings #4  
Bicycle inner tubes work great as long as you get a slightly larger diameter than what you need to cover. You would think that they would stretch, but it is difficult to do so. Several months ago I installed a section of bicycle inner tube over the main wiring connector under the tractor and wire tied the ends of the inner tube tight. First I applied an electrical contact preservative to the connector's pins and sockets. I figured that the connector would probably get wet and muddy many times over the life of the tractor and that the protection could eliminate electrical trouble shooting down the road.