Building your own Box Blade?

/ Building your own Box Blade? #1  

dourobob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Wheel Horse 522xi
I've been reviewing a number of posts about box blades and have a few questions:
1 - has anyone built their own?
2 - does anyone have a set of plans available?
3 - any tips on what to do and what not to do?
4 - if you stated from scratch, what are the BB features you experienced users could just not do without? Why?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

While it may not be a cost effective venture to consider building one if I value my time at $0.50/ hour (and the time of my buddy who doesn't know yet that he is helping me /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif) it appears straight forward enough and it could mean having all the "have to have" features in one unit.

Appreciate your comments.

Bob

/ Building your own Box Blade? #2  
My neighbor is going to be building his own Box Blade using mine as a model. It seems really simple and there really aren't that many features on a box blade. I'll give it a shot.

1) Got to have pins for setting height of the scarifiers. I've seen box blades with nuts/bolts to do this. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2) Rear edge of the box should have replaceable blade edge on both sides. I can't comment on a swinging\lockable back edge since I've never used one.

I really can't think of improvements I'd make to mine, it is a very simple tool but also extremely useful for me. Good luck

/ Building your own Box Blade? #3  
Considering the price of boxblades, at least in the US, I can't imagine even attempting to build one unless you are getting your steel for free, and have your own machine shop, In which case I would build something worth more money. You can buy a 5' 400-450# box blade for $225-$300.

/ Building your own Box Blade? #4  
I agree with normde2001. Another option would be to buy the box blade and fabricate a set of adjustable guide wheels - they cost almost as much as the box blade. Also, you could add your own hydraulic controls which would involve fabricating brackets and arms. Price out the models with hydraulics and guide wheels before proceeding, they are worthwhile add-ons.

/ Building your own Box Blade? #5  
Things that would be nice on a BB.

Adjustable depth scarfiers, multiple depths. Also being able to flip them up/down via a handle. Much nicer than strictly using pins.

Adjustable rear gate so you could lock it into various positions or just let it swing.

/ Building your own Box Blade? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Things that would be nice on a BB.

Adjustable depth scarfiers, multiple depths. Also being able to flip them up/down via a handle. Much nicer than strictly using pins.

Adjustable rear gate so you could lock it into various positions or just let it swing. )</font>

Just the ticket

/ Building your own Box Blade? #7  
Build in a 2" reciever. The B.B. ends up on the tractor all the time at my house, used as a counterweight. So if it had a 2" receiver, i'd use it to move the trailer and boat around easier. Hey, I guess I better weld one on.
Also, determine what your tractor manufacturer wants on for rear ballast and once your B.B. is done, add on more metal till you hit the ballast requirements.