3pt Splitter Hookup

/ 3pt Splitter Hookup #1  

Kyle241

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
I'm in the market to purchase a splitter and would like to understand how the hydraulics work (or what's needed) for a Kubota. I searched the hydraulics forum and saw a lot of threads about 3pt splitters but couldn't quite find the answer I was looking for. Specifically I have a BH92 so I have a rear remote hookup but there is only one. From what I saw on the Wallenstein wood splitters, there is a need for two but I'm no hydraulics guy so I'm very confused. I did see that one hose is the 'IN' and one is the 'OUT' but what is needed to hook them up to the tractor? Does anyone run a 3pt splitter off their Kubota and would anyone have a picture of the connections? My local dealer couldn't help me yesterday and that is why I did not buy from him and when I returned home, I couldn't call the dealer who I did buy from because they had just closed for the day (12 noon).

So if anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

/ 3pt Splitter Hookup #2  
I find it very difficult to believe that your BH92 has just one hydraulic connection. It simply doesn't work that way. There is always an 'in' and an 'out'

/ 3pt Splitter Hookup #3  
I would expect that you have two connections for your backhoe that you connect together with a hose when the backhoe is off the tractor. One will be the power beyond from the loader valve, connect that to the inlet of the splitter. The other connection goes into the transmission case to supply power to the three point lift. Connect that to the outlet or return port from the splitter. When the splitter is connected, just be careful not lift more than just the splitter with the three point as you could exceed the pressure rating of the return port of the splitter valve.

If your backhoe connections are different than I described above, then let us know so we can give the correct advice. Pictures are great.

/ 3pt Splitter Hookup
Thanks guys, I looked at it again and yes I have two hoses but I meant to say was that I only have one connection. When the backhoe is on, one hose connects to the connection that is attached to the backhoe and the hose on the backhoe connects to the connector mounted on part of my frame. When I remove the back hoe, I am left with a hose that I typically connect to the one connection on the frame so the oil loops back. On the splitters I have seen that it appears that the inlet and outlet hoses both need connectors but I only have one. So I guess I need another connection?

/ 3pt Splitter Hookup #5  
Thanks guys, I looked at it again and yes I have two hoses but I meant to say was that I only have one connection. When the backhoe is on, one hose connects to the connection that is attached to the backhoe and the hose on the backhoe connects to the connector mounted on part of my frame. When I remove the back hoe, I am left with a hose that I typically connect to the one connection on the frame so the oil loops back. On the splitters I have seen that it appears that the inlet and outlet hoses both need connectors but I only have one. So I guess I need another connection?

.Does your back hoe control valve have a port marked PB(power beyond)

.If so connect a quick connect to that port and use it for the pressure(in) on your splitter and run a second line from the out port of the splitter valve to the tank(tranny) via a short quick connect line on your tractor. Running your return thru your quick disconnect will work but it will slow your detent and could cause some heat issues with the fluid.

/ 3pt Splitter Hookup #6  
You really have two connections on your tractor. One is the hose and the other is quick coupler port that you plug the hose in when the backhoe is off the tractor. You will need to connect your splitter to both that hose and the quick coupler on the tractor. The splitter would take the place of the backhoe in the hydraulic circuit. If you do not know, you will need to figure out which on your tractor, the hose or quick coupler, is the supply and which is the return.

/ 3pt Splitter Hookup
Okay so in order for me to understand, I need pictures to explain my confusion as obviously I am very confused. :laughing:

Here are my 'connections' in the back of my Kubota. The one on the right is BY (blue cap) and currently the BH hose is connected. On the left is hose from the tractor to the BH connector (red cap).
DSC_0002-5.jpg

I understand that one of the hoses from the wood splitter would plug into the BY connector, I'm good with that.

The other hose however is what has me confused. It looks the same as this:
DSC_0005-3.jpg

Doesn't there need to be another connector for this?

Tks.

/ 3pt Splitter Hookup #8  
I have a MX5000 and your configuration is different than mine. Where does the covered hose to the right of the blue QC caps go? Follow it back the cover may have slid over the QC under the seat area.

Rest assured you will find 2 separate QC's somewhere! The BH wouldn't work without it!

/ 3pt Splitter Hookup #9  
The hose from your tractor (red cap) will need to go to a female quick disconnect on the end of a hose from the splitter. The other hose from the splitter will need a male quick disconnect to go to the female quick disconnect (blue) on the tractor. Both the red and blue need to be connected to the splitter and you will need to get the appropriate quick disconnect fittings on the splitter.

It is not obvious from your pictures which line, red or blue, is pressure and which is return, unless by 'BY' you mean power beyond in which case the blue would be the high pressure line. If you dead head a motion on the backhoe, such as trying to raise the boom after it is against the stop, you will put the pump in to relief and you should see or feel the pressure hose flex and get stiffer. The return hose should remain as flexible as when the tractor is off.

/ 3pt Splitter Hookup
I have a MX5000 and your configuration is different than mine. Where does the covered hose to the right of the blue QC caps go? Follow it back the cover may have slid over the QC under the seat area.

Rest assured you will find 2 separate QC's somewhere! The BH wouldn't work without it!

The hose on right goes to here under the right foot:
DSC_0003-4.jpg

The hose from your tractor (red cap) will need to go to a female quick disconnect on the end of a hose from the splitter. The other hose from the splitter will need a male quick disconnect to go to the female quick disconnect (blue) on the tractor. Both the red and blue need to be connected to the splitter and you will need to get the appropriate quick disconnect fittings on the splitter.

It is not obvious from your pictures which line, red or blue, is pressure and which is return, unless by 'BY' you mean power beyond in which case the blue would be the high pressure line. If you dead head a motion on the backhoe, such as trying to raise the boom after it is against the stop, you will put the pump in to relief and you should see or feel the pressure hose flex and get stiffer. The return hose should remain as flexible as when the tractor is off.

The BY = power beyond, that is correct. My issue is there are not two QC's on my tractor, only one in the picture. The other is physically attached to the BH. When I looked at the Wallenstein splitter this past weekend, it only had two male ends - this is what I am confused over.

Thanks guys for taking the time to respond to a very confused newbie to hydraulics.