which Hydraulic cylinder do i need for a log splitter

/ which Hydraulic cylinder do i need for a log splitter #1  

joulian

I am looking on SurplusCenter.com for a tierod cylinder. What sizes should I be concerned with if i am wanting to split logs from 8-24 inches in dia.?

/ which Hydraulic cylinder do i need for a log splitter #2  
How large of engine are you planning to use, and the pump size?

A 4 in cyl, 2 in shaft will put you in the 15 T at 2500 psi
-----------------------------------------------19 T at 3000 psi

/ which Hydraulic cylinder do i need for a log splitter #3  
A 4 in cyl, 2 in shaft will put you in the 15 T at 2500 psi
-----------------------------------------------19 T at 3000 psi

That's the most common size I see.......3.5" bore min to 5.0" bore max (unless you have a rather large engine/pump)

4.0" bore is best average for all-around usage

/ which Hydraulic cylinder do i need for a log splitter #4  
That's the most common size I see.......3.5" bore min to 5.0" bore max (unless you have a rather large engine/pump)

4.0" bore is best average for all-around usage

Will need to consider GPM also. A 5" bore 24" stroke at less than 20 GPM will make for a long cycle time. I added a 22 GPM and I am hitting low 10's for cycle time with a 5" bore 2" shaft 24" stroke and at 3000psi around 30tons. This thing looks are a twisted piece of Hickory and smiles and says "REALLY". LOL SNAP CRACKLE SPLIT

/ which Hydraulic cylinder do i need for a log splitter #5  
What is the GPM on your tractor?

Here is a 4 in bore, 2 n shaft, 24 in stroke, with a pressure rating of 2500 psi.

Surplus Center - 4X24X2 DA HYD CYL W400240

Welded cyl will take more pressure at around 3000 psi.

/ which Hydraulic cylinder do i need for a log splitter #6  
165masseyky; said:
Will need to consider GPM also. A 5" bore 24" stroke at less than 20 GPM will make for a long cycle time. I added a 22 GPM and I am hitting low 10's for cycle time with a 5" bore 2" shaft 24" stroke and at 3000psi around 30tons. This thing looks are a twisted piece of Hickory and smiles and says "REALLY". LOL SNAP CRACKLE SPLIT

You should be in the 5.58 sec extend, and 4.7 sec with 22 GPM's, 5 in cyl 2 in shaft, if you stay in the fast mode. .

/ which Hydraulic cylinder do i need for a log splitter
Thanks J J

I was wondering about if welded rod is better....or not.

/ which Hydraulic cylinder do i need for a log splitter #8  
You should be in the 5.58 sec extend, and 4.7 sec with 22 GPM's, 5 in cyl 2 in shaft, if you stay in the fast mode. .

Thats what I am getting now with the gas powered pump and engine total cycle when we tested the cylinder to full extend and full retract was 10.25

/ which Hydraulic cylinder do i need for a log splitter #9  
Thanks J J

I was wondering about if welded rod is better....or not.

Before starting this splitter thing I was more of a fab. guy and to tell you the truth if done properly wire welding is just as strong...BUT...Read the previous sentence because wire welding encompasses alot more set up than stick. Wire speed. amp, wire size ,rating, and flux or gas just to name a few. If you are a decent stick welder I would do everything in 7018 3/32 to 1/8 bevel the piece any where possible and straight bead in then weave and remember the most important stick welder four steps...weld....deflux....brush...repeat. Oh and the ABC's of welding

Always
Be
Comfortable:D

/ which Hydraulic cylinder do i need for a log splitter #10  
Before starting this splitter thing I was more of a fab. guy and to tell you the truth if done properly wire welding is just as strong...BUT...Read the previous sentence because wire welding encompasses alot more set up than stick. Wire speed. amp, wire size ,rating, and flux or gas just to name a few. If you are a decent stick welder I would do everything in 7018 3/32 to 1/8 bevel the piece any where possible and straight bead in then weave and remember the most important stick welder four steps...weld....deflux....brush...repeat. Oh and the ABC's of welding

Always
Be
Comfortable:D

165Massey, I think he meant to say " If welded cylinder is better ....or not".......