Buying loader - Ballast box or Carryall with box

/ Buying loader - Ballast box or Carryall with box #1  

tjwoody

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota bx 2360
I will be buying an LA243 FEL for my BX2360 and know that I need weight on the back as a counterbalance. I want to know your thoughts on buying a ballast box versus a carry all and constructing a box to go on it which I would fill with concrete blocks. I think the carryall offers more versatility, the question is will it be able to carry sufficient weight to counterbalance the loader. Most of the carryalls I have seen care capable of carrying 300-400 lbs.

/ Buying loader - Ballast box or Carryall with box #2  
tjwoody said:
I will be buying an LA243 FEL for my BX2360 and know that I need weight on the back as a counterbalance. I want to know your thoughts on buying a ballast box versus a carry all and constructing a box to go on it which I would fill with concrete blocks. I think the carryall offers more versatility, the question is will it be able to carry sufficient weight to counterbalance the loader. Most of the carryalls I have seen care capable of carrying 300-400 lbs.

Hey I think you should buy the ballast box on my friends kubota they had one
and thats the way to go you could hold lots more weight

/ Buying loader - Ballast box or Carryall with box #3  
Get a landscape box blade instead, has uses and weight can be added if needed

/ Buying loader - Ballast box or Carryall with box #5  
brokenknee said:
Another vote for a box blade. You could also load your tires.

Only thing if you load your tires ,if you puncture them you will have a real mess and an expansive one if it's filled Preston :(

/ Buying loader - Ballast box or Carryall with box #6  
I also would recommend some type of 3 pt implement that could have a dual purpose. Grading scraper, grade box, rear blade, or something else you can get some use out of other than just having useless weight hanging off the back of the tractor. I know the weight itself is useful, but thats all its good for.

/ Buying loader - Ballast box or Carryall with box #7  
a boxblade or shredder should be more than enough ballast.

/ Buying loader - Ballast box or Carryall with box #8  
Only thing if you load your tires ,if you puncture them you will have a real mess and an expansive one if it's filled Preston :(

Most people here fill them with window wash or beet juice, both noncorrosive so no need for a tube. If you get a puncture, just roll it to the top and plug it. :)

/ Buying loader - Ballast box or Carryall with box #9  
+1 on the box blade, works fine with the LA243 on my BX2660.

/ Buying loader - Ballast box or Carryall with box #10  
As others have noted get another implement like a rear blade or box blade which often are used along with the FEL. About the only good the the ballast box is over other implements is that it gives one more clearance on the backside in tight quarters. It doesn't take that much rear ballast to counter the loads that a LA243 will lift. So far, I haven't seen the need to load the tires for pushing snow or moving rocks (bigger than the FEL bucket), as long as the RB or the ballast box was on. Mike