Glow Plug Question

/ Glow Plug Question #1  

hillbilly rick

Bronze Member
Tractor
Deere 2520
I have a 2011 2520. The only indication that it has glow plugs in the manual is in the fuse section. Nothing in the manual tells me to turn the key and wait before starting in clod weather, and there is no light like I have seen on old diesel cars. How do I tell if they are working properly? I don't want to find out they are not with a bunch of snow on the ground.

/ Glow Plug Question #3  
2320 has a dash glow plug light and the manual states:

Cold Weather Starting Aids Recommendations:
Turn key to ON position for 3 seconds to activate glow plugs.

Silly that the 2520 is not the same.

OMLVU16740_A7

/ Glow Plug Question #5  
That explains it. I wondered about that light, but had not given it much thought since it always went off immediately. I probably have not started the tractor under 50 degrees yet. Thanks!

That is really strange! We have the same tractor!
No matter what the temperature is,summer or winter,my glow plugs always cycle when I turn the key to "on".:confused:

Greg

/ Glow Plug Question #6  
glc24 I'm with you I have a 2011, JD2520 took delivery this summer. I was told by the dealer that it has a manifold heater not glow plugs, but that aside my lamp lights in warm or cold weather each time I start the tractor.

/ Glow Plug Question #7  
There is no temp sensor in the system so it comes on every time you start the tractor. If your light does not come on every time you start-up (hot or cold) than you have an issue with the electrical circuit.

/ Glow Plug Question #8  
My 2011 takes 5-10 seconds (at least) for the light to go out. I always wait for it to go out before starting. Sometimes if I am on the right side of the tractor I will turn the key then walk around and get on while waiting for the light to go out.

/ Glow Plug Question #9  
The earlier ( 2006-2008 ) 2520 had a different variation of the engine now being used. It had an intake heater, where the engine used since then has glow plugs. I have a 2010 model and the light comes on for about 10-15 seconds every time I start the tractor, even if it's already warmed up.