Replacement Blade for JD 54" Front Blade

/ Replacement Blade for JD 54" Front Blade #1  

BethesdaEC

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 2520
I purchased a 54" front blade when I purchased my tractor and I did not realize how ridiculously small it was. Has anybody found a replacement 72" blade that is bolt on compatible with the JD 54" front blade.

There is one guy making one, but at $1600 plus shipping it is over the top expensive.

The 12 Gauge XL for JD Quick hitch

/ Replacement Blade for JD 54" Front Blade #2  
I don't think your tractor would be able to lift that blade in the link. That is a heavy duty truck blade.

I'd suggest visiting a local shop that handles steel fabrication and ask about getting a blade made to the size you want.
I made a wing plow for my JD 4300 and needed a blade made. The material and the bending came to $100. A front blade would be the same height (width) both ends, so would be simpler than the wing blade that was 12" one end and 24" on the other end 8 1/2' length.
This shop made trailers of all sizes and many other custom projects as well. Hope this helps.

Check through the search as some members have extended the width of their snow blades for additional width.

I went to a Western 7' plow and built a hitch to mount on the front. It works great!
A used Western or Meyer plow may be found, and there are some light duty plows around.

/ Replacement Blade for JD 54" Front Blade #3  
They can also weld on some extensions to the blade...

/ Replacement Blade for JD 54" Front Blade #4  
Back when I had one, I made wings for mine that made it 6' wide and then I added the wing and had a 10' swath.:D
th_100_2243.jpg

th_100_2240.jpg

th_100_2430.jpg

th_100_2435.jpg

/ Replacement Blade for JD 54" Front Blade #5  
High Compression

Nice mod and fab job.

Now, can we get some real pics to look at? :) Sure would like to see what you've done, if that is possible. Or is there a link to a thread already?

/ Replacement Blade for JD 54" Front Blade
I don't think your tractor would be able to lift that blade in the link. That is a heavy duty truck blade.

It is only a 72" blade and it is made specifically for the JD quick hitch. They show this thing mounted on some much smaller X series tractors.

/ Replacement Blade for JD 54" Front Blade #7  
it does make an X585 look small huh?

Attachments

• 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 438
it does make an X585 look small huh?

I doubt that the X series will be able to push much with it, but the 2520 is a much more substantial tractor and I have weight and chains. The most frustrating thing with the 54 blade for me is my circular driveway. When I turn, the wheels are outside of the cleared path so they start to ride up on the snow and now the blade is not level so less snow is being cleared on the inside of the turn so now it start riding up even more. I end up doing a lot maneuvering instead clearing the circle in 2 or 3 rotations.

The 2520 is 51 inches wide so it does not take much of an angle for the blade to get narrower that the tractor.

/ Replacement Blade for JD 54" Front Blade #9  
i think you'd have a beast of a snow machine with that
blade on a 2520 with chains and a little weight!

:D

i think you'd have a beast of a snow machine with that
blade on a 2520 with chains and a little weight!

:D

Agreed, except I am not going to pay $1800 for a blade. The entire front blade with hydraulics and hoses from JD at retail is less than what they are asking for just a blade.