Auger chain drive question for those with a blower.

/ Auger chain drive question for those with a blower. #1  

arsenix2001

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3540 HTSC-3
I finally got around to finishing up the installation of my woods 72c snowblower. Its a beautiful unit but im concerned with one thing, its almost like the main gear sprocket on the auger is out of round or not running true, my chain slacks slightly for a second as it goes around and it prouduces an audible noise which you can also feel in the entire unit if its raised. How smoothly do the drives on your blowers work?

/ Auger chain drive question for those with a blower. #2  
I finally got around to finishing up the installation of my woods 72c snowblower. Its a beautiful unit but im concerned with one thing, its almost like the main gear sprocket on the auger is out of round or not running true, my chain slacks slightly for a second as it goes around and it prouduces an audible noise which you can also feel in the entire unit if its raised. How smoothly do the drives on your blowers work?

my old Farmking had no noticeable noise or deflection on the chain drive. Are you sure theres nothing wrong with the chain itself???

/ Auger chain drive question for those with a blower. #3  
my old Farmking had no noticeable noise or deflection on the chain drive. Are you sure theres nothing wrong with the chain itself???

Does sound like it's a link or so too long...or, there's an idler not functioning...

/ Auger chain drive question for those with a blower.
Its tensioned properly with one idler but it acts like the main gear on the auger is out of round as the chain tensions and loosens as it rotates, im going to give it a closer look this pm.

/ Auger chain drive question for those with a blower. #5  
Its tensioned properly with one idler but it acts like the main gear on the auger is out of round as the chain tensions and loosens as it rotates, im going to give it a closer look this pm.

Have you contacted Woods Equipment on this? Or, if purchased from a dealer..have you talked to them?
If you bought it used...well, the previous owner may have replaced the chain...

When you do look at it...see if the auger spins or rotates freely...might be binding or rubbing on something while it's turning (meaning maybe it's not slack in the chain but elsewhere in the drive line).

/ Auger chain drive question for those with a blower. #6  
I would suspect the chain needs lube. After mine sits for the summer, the bottom section of chain(from the auger sprocket back towards the drive sprocket)tightens noticeably. I lube it well with "Fluid Film" before storage, but it still rusts and tightens up over the summer. A good dose of the fluid film and a couple minutes run time and all's good

/ Auger chain drive question for those with a blower. #7  

Lube your chain up and run it at low speed for a bit and see if it improves. If it doesn't and if it's new, check with your dealer.

/ Auger chain drive question for those with a blower. #8  
I keep wondering what 'fluid film' is........:confused:

I oil mine (chain) with an oilcan and cheap motor oil.....

/ Auger chain drive question for those with a blower. #9  
   / Auger chain drive question for those with a blower. #10  
Love me some fluid film for general protection/lubrication, and for stopping snow from sticking to stuff. For the chain I like to use motorcycle chain lube - comes in a spray can and sticks nicely to the chain.