Decisions decisions

/ Decisions decisions #1  

Rock Man

First off. This forum can't be beat for information. Like many before me,
I'm pulling my hair out about which tractor to buy. I've narrowed it down to the Kubota L3800HST and L4400HST, with the appropriate FEL and forks. I'll mostly be using the tractor in my backyard,
moving large rocks for a massive retaining wall project. This will include back filling gravel and dirt too.
I'll also use it to harvest large cedars (in the woods) at my folks place and some day when my dad gives up his lawnmower-use it to shred the 4 acres, etc..

I like the size of the 3800 for manueverability in tight places, which is key. It also agrees with my trailer and budget. Where I get nervous is unloading a pallet of rocks from a trailer.
After getting the pallet down, I'll be moving the rocks individually or in smaller quantity. I hate the idea of spending and extra $4,600.00 on the 4400 - to unload a pallet 20 inches to the ground.

This decision is agonizing. Typical pallets are 1/2-1 ton.

/ Decisions decisions #2  
The data at TractorData.com Kubota L3800 tractor attachments information looks like the L3800 can lift 1490 lbs 1.5 m at the pins.

My dealer let me demo the tractor and mower combination 80 miles from the store. Seems like you could find something at the dealer to lift and move around to get the feel before you shell out that kind of money.

My neighbor had some stone delivered for a water feature. The truck came with one of those spyder fork lifts to unload the stone. Seems like if your provider could get it off the truck for you problem solved. Does the rock provider expect everyone to have the equipment to unload?

/ Decisions decisions #3  
My 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, gear tranny 8F/2R, power steering, triple rear hydraulic remotes) with the ML250 FEL (6 ft wide bucket, 2950 lb lift to 10.5 ft height, skid steer quick attach) cost about $19K new. Something like this might work for you. If you want HST, add $3K or so.

/ Decisions decisions #4  
It appears you really prefer the 3800 and it suits your needs more appropriately than the 4400, and that the sole reason to consider the 4400 is unloading rocks. While the 4400 is a stouter and more powerful tractor and generally more capable for certain tasks it appears the majority of your needs can be better served by the 3800. A tractors is a general purpose machine and you try to mate the majority of your needs/tasks to a particular need or needs. Most likely you can find an available method for unloading heavier pallets. One of the earlier posts addressed the hauler providing machinery to perform that task. While it will cost you more at the time it is most likely the more sensible option. Good luck and enjoy the process and your new tractor whatever you decide.

/ Decisions decisions #5  
I've narrowed it down to the Kubota L3800HST and L4400HST...

Does this mean you've ruled other brands out? For the price, neither of these tractors will have the lift capacity or the lux features that many other brands will give you, usually at a lower price. Since you're only mentioning lift capacity as a major requirement, I'm wondering if you're stuck on a name or if other brands were considered and ruled out for other valid reasons.

Kubota might be the best for you, you'll have to try everything else before you know for sure.

/ Decisions decisions #6  
Just go w/your gut feeling.

/ Decisions decisions
Thanks for the feedback. Concerning the pallets of rocks. For my particular project I've placed large orders where they show up on a tractor trailer.
Thankfully, those bulk orders are over (I hope). With those deliveries a large skid steer unloaded them. Believe it or not-I moved all those stones with rock bars....Egyptian style, creeping to the edge of bluff on logs. Once to the edge of steep bluff-gravity takes over. They're strapped and move down a ramp, slowly, with 3 pulley anchors to manage the load.

Now I'm grabbing a pallet or two at a time-so I'll be unloading them. They also won't be as big as before-those stones were mostly stairs-all in the 300lb + range... The stair case is mostly finished - 65 steps down a 90' bluff.

I guess I'm partial to Kubota because I did a similar job with one a couple years ago. Moving rocks, etc....That machine was very reliable. The work I'm doing is extremely dangerous and I don't need equipment hiccups. The problem is
the fella whose tractor I used for that job has moved and I can't for the life of me remember which model he had.

Attachments

• 895642164_qVets-XL.jpg
    895642164_qVets-XL.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 895641906_Pkotv-XL.jpg
    895641906_Pkotv-XL.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 137
  • 895644626_jVykx-XL.jpg
    895644626_jVykx-XL.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 895645760_44xeJ-XL.jpg
    895645760_44xeJ-XL.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 165
   / Decisions decisions #8  
I have a Kubota L3400HST. forerunner to the L3800HST you are looking at. It is a good reliable tractor, If you were not just determined on a Kubota you should look at the Kioti line as well. In general heavier tractors with some more lift capacity for less money. You do want hydrostat for what you are going to do setting rocks and loading unloading rocks. No question there. Kubota's are generally lighter than some of the other brands.. and when you are dealing with rocks, you need weight, both in the tractor itself, and in the tires, and on the 3pt hitch as well.. I set a lot of rocks with my Kubota, and I have fluid filled tires and 750 lbs on the 3pt in the form of a homemade ballast barrel and you will need all of that and then some, as well as make sure you get the Quick attach (SSQA) on the front end loader bucket so that you can switch to forks in a minute or two. Remember when your tractor comes off of the truck, it isnt really ready to lift heavy loads unless it is properly ballasted. But if I were you I would look at some of the other brands of heavier tractors in the same size range with stronger loaders , and this is coming from a Kubota Lover. Compare specs. Do your homework before you lay down the big money. Good luck in whatever you decide

James K0UA

/ Decisions decisions #9  
Wow, very nice work, I'm impressed. I'm guessing you'd be hard pressed to find a tractor under 50 hp that could lift some of the pallets off the truck anyway.

I understand being partial to a brand. I bought my first tractor used and I didn't even consider anything other than John Deere or Kubota. I bought a JD 955, 33hp cab tractor. It was a very nice little tractor and I did a lot of work with it. Unfortunatly, it was over 20yrs old and 1800 maybe not so kind hours on the clock.

When the tinker/seat time ratio became way too high, I decided to buy new. It was going to be a Kubota this time. I created spread sheets with all sorts of models from various brands, all in the 30 - 35 hp range (I though my 955 fit just about right). I was pretty much looking for Kubota to come up on top so it would be an easy decision. By the time I got the Kubota to line up with the specs I was looking at with Kioti and Case, I had moved from the B series to the L series. After going to the farm show and dealers and sitting on all the seats, it was clear to me that the more expensive L3200 couldn't match the Kioti or Case in everything that mattered to me.

Since I don't mind taking some heat over it :cool:, I'd say that I found the Kubota very light with lower lift capacity, lower hydraulic flow, less features and poorer finish. JD was even lighter with less lift and the economy models I was looking at wouldn't even take a BH. The L3240 beat the other models I compared it to, but cost A LOT more!

The difference between my new tractor (30hp Kioti) vs my JD 955 (33hp) is staggering. Honestly, I would say it's the difference between a Ranger and F250.

I still think Kubota's are great, and nobody builds a cab tractor like JD, but there are other excellent tractors out there, and you shouldn't pass them up until you've looked at them. LS, Kioti/Bobcat/Landini/McCormick (exact same except the loader), Case, Mahindra, Massey Ferguson and JD (just to rattle the a quick list off the top of my head) all deserve a look.