Box Scraper 1200 lbs of gannon....American steel

/ 1200 lbs of gannon....American steel #1  

HSSC

Tractor
Challenger 285b
Just picked up a Gannon 4x2 HYD box-blade for $ 1000.00 with my no HYD. box blade in on trade.
My blade came with my tractor and my guess is around 500 pounds plus a few. Made in the USA. Around 74 " wide, a solid non HYD unit. Challenger brand/Agco made by someone here in the USofA.

This Gannon I got is a beast. 1200 lbs. 84" inside/86" outside diameter of American steel. Looks like an India replacement ram with ? hoses and QC's. I don't think Gannon would of put a cheap HYD ram like this one on the unit, but I'm thinking it will do the job for the scarfers.

This box has more rust than wear, as it is in pristine condition and some minor rust issues with lots of paint left on the inside of the box.

The cutting edges have no wear as well as the tips of the rippers.

My only concern is do I have to much box for my 49 horse Challenger 285B/1547 Massey ferguson tractor?

The box is rated 40 to 90 horse's.

My Dad said it would be up to me and how I chose to use/or abuse it.

I'm not a landscaper, only road maintenance with a good blade as well. This blade is 84" and HYD three way as well. ( the blade in the pick )

I have the parts now to go with more hyd circuits so I'll be able to go TNT. When I find the time.........:shocked:

I'll post some picks when I get some juice for the camera........

Attachments

• P2030821.jpg
    P2030821.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 1,458
   / 1200 lbs of gannon....American steel #2  
That's a good looking piece of equipment, built like a tank.

/ 1200 lbs of gannon....American steel #3  
Gannon (now Woods) is a really heavy duty box. I don't know about Massey, but the box exceeds the weight for my Kubota MX5100 (51 hp). The max weight for it is 1,000 lbs. for a box scraper. Kubotas are fairly lightweight tractors so it may be an issue of weight rather than horsepower. Let us know how it works when you get a chance to use it.

/ 1200 lbs of gannon....American steel #4  
My Frontier/Gannon boxblade weighs 1250 lbs. and is a good load for a large compact. My guess is you need a machine weight of 5000+ to be effective using one of these. Rimguard in the tires should make a big difference.

/ 1200 lbs of gannon....American steel
As promised some pics of this beast of a Gannon/boxblade. As you can see from the pics it has very little use. The pins are all cat 2 so I picked up some sleeves for my cat 1 pins. It has a tailgate, which I now know what it is used for, thanks to the members on this web site. Deeper cuts with the front blade. The scarfer ram fits like a shoe so it could be original with new paint and hoses. My rear tires are loaded and my tractor is well over #5,000 lbs minus the driver, I'll leave that detail out.:laughing:
My research and job site imformation/eyes, see a 4x4 vs mine a 4x2, can't see a defference. Anyone know?

Attachments

• gannon-#1.jpg
    gannon-#1.jpg
    851.7 KB · Views: 2,455
  • Gannon-#2.jpg
    Gannon-#2.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 791
  • gannon-#3.jpg
    gannon-#3.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 1,023
  • gannon-#4.jpg
    gannon-#4.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 800
   / 1200 lbs of gannon....American steel #6  
Outstanding tool there. I think your tractor will have a hard time in soft material or heavy cuts with this one. I have the Fontier version, a tad smaller and lighter, and my 83hp 4x4 definitely knows it's there. Mine is cat I and all three pins have bent or broken from the load. I'll be glad to trade with you:)

/ 1200 lbs of gannon....American steel #7  
When you go live with it, let us know if you would how it performs with your tractor. My MX5100 with FEL/bucket, etc. tire ballast weighs just shy of 5,500 lbs. I am considering a Woods/Gannon box blade that weighs 1,000 lbs. (6' width). I would like the 7', but it is just too much box! I have R4 tires, so I will not have the traction that I would with Ag tires, but the 4WD will help. I intend to use it extensively with my terra-forming projects and as ballast when I am cleaning the pond muck from my ponds. I am also considering the Landpride box blade as their 6' weighs in at a measly 615 lbs.

/ 1200 lbs of gannon....American steel #8  
Well, you have yourself a couple of top of the line implements to go along with your Challenger, that's for sure. :thumbsup: Send me an email when you get ready for your top and tilt set, only $575 + shipping for a complete set. ;)

/ 1200 lbs of gannon....American steel #9  
Nice looking boxblade, hope you have a fel on the front of your tractor to counter balance it. I have one very similar that I use with a 5,500 lb 4520 and I have to use 4x4 or I will spin the tires easily.

Looks like you have clevis hitch for cat 1 and 2, might need to get the correct pins for this. These pins have shoulders for fitting both hitch sizes. Also when you replace the broken scarifier make sure you get the correct one for this implement, the cheap ones won't hold up.

At any rate I have used mine for about seven years now and have been very satisfied with the results I get from it. Really does a good job of moving large amounts of dirt and is heavy enough to produce a smooth grade.

Here is mine with topntilt, really need this to get the best results, Brian can fix you up.:thumbsup:

/ 1200 lbs of gannon....American steel #10  
When you go live with it, let us know if you would how it performs with your tractor. My MX5100 with FEL/bucket, etc. tire ballast weighs just shy of 5,500 lbs. I am considering a Woods/Gannon box blade that weighs 1,000 lbs. (6' width). I would like the 7', but it is just too much box! I have R4 tires, so I will not have the traction that I would with Ag tires, but the 4WD will help. I intend to use it extensively with my terra-forming projects and as ballast when I am cleaning the pond muck from my ponds. I am also considering the Landpride box blade as their 6' weighs in at a measly 615 lbs.

Forget about the Land Pride, the 6' Woods/Gannon will serve you good. Weight and 1/2" steel are good things when grading. ;)