Cold starting a Cub/Yanmar

/ Cold starting a Cub/Yanmar #1  

NHSawyer

Bronze Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet/Yanmar LX410
Hi Folks,
It is getting colder and I looked at manual for the new (from the summer) LX to check on cold starting. If I understand it correctly they say to insert the key and wait 15 seconds or until the cold starting aid light goes out.
I find this pretty surprising. Does anyone know how this works? Is the manual really correct?
I would think you would need to turn the key or something.

/ Cold starting a Cub/Yanmar #2  
Normally you turn the key to the LEFT and wait until the light goes out or if you don't have a light, wait the 15 seconds. Then turn the key to the right as you normally do when you start the tractor.

/ Cold starting a Cub/Yanmar
Thanks for the help

Well I went to start the LX last night. The key does not turn to the left. I started it as it was only around 30 degrees.
I went back and looked at the manual and the page on cold starting the machine said to insert the key and wait 15 seconds nothing else. This couldn't be right so I looked on the previous page and there in the middle of the first column it said to put in the key and turn it to the "ON" position and wait 15 seconds or until the glow indicator went out. It never said anything about this being the cold starting instructions but it must be it.
I Will try this tomorrow and let everyone know.
Thanks

/ Cold starting a Cub/Yanmar #5  
Yes, turn the key to the right....I thought the LX's had a glow plug light...? I just got one, have to check also. Typically turn the key to the right till the light goes out, colder weathwr a bit longer.
Which LX did you get?

I got the 410. Great tractor. Much hope you enjoy yours.

Well I started the LX a couple of nights ago and turned the key to the right to the "On" position" I waited and in about 6-7 seconds the glow plug indicator lamp went out. It started right up after that.

/ Cold starting a Cub/Yanmar #8  
great feeling when they start right up in the cold!

/ Cold starting a Cub/Yanmar #9  
You should look into a Battery Tender and or a block heater if the temps go below 0 like here over the weekend. Tender will keep your battery right up with out over charging and block heater can be turned on a few hours before you use tractor, good luck.
DevilDog

/ Cold starting a Cub/Yanmar #10  
i know mine isnt your exact model but my 2011 sc2400 has the glowplug and have to turn left for 5 seconds then i can start it ... if i try to start mine in our wisconsin winters without doing so it wont start for me at all

edited :)

Last edited: