Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling?

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #1  

wroughtn_harv

Tractor
2013 Volvo MC85C
I had rotator cuff surgery for two tears incurred when I fell onto a plow. The surgery was 12/27. I've been off the oxycodiene for about three days, occasional tylenol now. Yesterday we made a stand for the keyboard so I can type, sling is above the keyboard, works great.

I'm 63, no pills of any kind use, no alcohol, fair shape. The tears were huge in the photos but then they didn't seem to bother the docs much. 7 holes in my shoulder.

They're talking six weeks in the sling. Friends are saying months.

What was your experience like?

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #2  
I'm sorry to hear of your injury but wish you a fast recovery. I don't have any experience with that injury but I have found from my own various injuries that the doctors are usually pretty close with the time frames. Hopefully you heal faster then they expected.

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #3  
I had some bone removed from my right shoulder six years ago & some rotator cuff repair. Don't remember just how long, but the sling was just a few weeks. ~~ grnspot

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #4  
Had mine done three years ago....if I remember right a sling for about three weeks.DON'T RUSH IT.My physical therapist recommended I wear it any time in public for six weeks...don't want any friendly hugs ect.Take your time and do all your PT..I was a full year before full strength.

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #5  
Had the same surgery on 12 Dec 11. I'm 51, Monday will be four weeks in the sling (two more to go). First few weeks I had little to no pain. Then last Sunday it started to hurt. My muscles would spasm for a few minutes and felt like I had a toothache in my shoulder. It slowed down last night and has not hurt much today. I ice 3 times a day for 30 minutes. Almost wish I had not had the surgery. Google pain after rotator cuff surgery, lots of reading. Good luck, I'm ready to get outside and do a little, but looks like a fairly long recovery time (5-8 months).

Eddie

Last edited:
   / Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #6  
Sorry to hear about you injury. Get well soon.

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #7  
I strongly believe the recovery time is impacted by your mental attitude.

If you think "I'll get better!", you will, but it you are pessamistic about it, it will take a long time.

Just my 2 Pence...

Oh, and get well soon!

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #8  
I had rotator cuff surgery for two tears incurred when I fell onto a plow. The surgery was 12/27. I've been off the oxycodiene for about three days, occasional tylenol now. Yesterday we made a stand for the keyboard so I can type, sling is above the keyboard, works great.

I'm 63, no pills of any kind use, no alcohol, fair shape. The tears were huge in the photos but then they didn't seem to bother the docs much. 7 holes in my shoulder.

Sorry to hear about your injury. Glad you're recovering.
Never had shoulder surgery. But did dislocate my left shoulder (I'm left handed)--high school football injury circa 1957. About 12 weeks in a sling and 6 months before I could raise my arm above shoulder level. Most painful experience ever for me.

Good luck.

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #9  
OUCH..sorry your having down time Harv.
Do take care of yourself and wishing speedy recovery.

/ Shoulder surgery, how long in this XXXX sling? #10  

Isn't it great to have friends who are so positive all the time ? :laughing: