Backhoe Sod cutting attachment for backhoe bucket.

/ Sod cutting attachment for backhoe bucket. #1  

OrangeJbird

Silver Member
Tractor
3320 w/300cx FEL
I'm trying to come up with a sod cutter that would quickly attach to an 18" bucket and peel the sod on 36 x 96" graves. Only found one patent Sod cutter - Hoke, Clyde Rockwell from 1977 online and it's far too complex for what I want to make. Would a sharpened 1/2" bar pull through sod? Or would it need a vibratory motion?
Maybe something like this?
Sod cutting knife

Thoughts/critiques welcome!

/ Sod cutting attachment for backhoe bucket. #2  
I'm trying to come up with a sod cutter that would quickly attach to an 18" bucket and peel the sod on 36 x 96" graves. Only found one patent Sod cutter - Hoke, Clyde Rockwell from 1977 online and it's far too complex for what I want to make. Would a sharpened 1/2" bar pull through sod? Or would it need a vibratory motion?
Sod cutting knife

This is not my build but you can likely adapt something like this to a backhoe.

See this link: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/229455-sod-cutter.html

243968d1325285380-sod-cutter-sod-cutter-001-small-.jpg

/ Sod cutting attachment for backhoe bucket. #3  
Might be easier, quicker to start with a buket cutting edge, then follow the idea posted above. Add another cross member above it with couple clamps to clamp on your backhoe bucket. Should do it.

/ Sod cutting attachment for backhoe bucket. #4  
You want something quick, easy on and off and something light so you actually use it. The one pictured looks like it would work good and be easy to build. I would just make it so that it hooks over a tooth to pull it. Something with a round disc on each side would cut nice and clean too. Then just use the bucket to remove the sod, likely wouldn't need the sod root cutter.

/ Sod cutting attachment for backhoe bucket. #5  
   / Sod cutting attachment for backhoe bucket. #6  
Sod cutting knife

We own five cemeteries in Georgia and use a Komatsu excavator to dig our graves. We have had no trouble taking the sod up with just the toothed bucket as long as we pre-cut the sod with a spade. Normaly cut around perimeter and then down the middle of grave and then across about every 18". I built a steel frame as atemplate for the grave. Quick and easy

/ Sod cutting attachment for backhoe bucket.
Nice ideas.
Thanks all!

/ Sod cutting attachment for backhoe bucket.
We own five cemeteries in Georgia and use a Komatsu excavator to dig our graves. We have had no trouble taking the sod up with just the toothed bucket as long as we pre-cut the sod with a spade. Normaly cut around perimeter and then down the middle of grave and then across about every 18". I built a steel frame as atemplate for the grave. Quick and easy

What width bucket do you use?

/ Sod cutting attachment for backhoe bucket. #9  
we use a 36" inch esco bucket but with the weld on cutting edges on each side, digs 37". The bucket is actually called a "cemetery" bucket. We use a Komatsu PC 35 to dig and it works great. Leaves almost know footprint and easy in and out.

/ Sod cutting attachment for backhoe bucket. #10  
Thanks for this post guys I was going through the same thing
22.gif