Comparison MF 35 Deluxe (gas) 35 diesel or MF 50

/ MF 35 Deluxe (gas) 35 diesel or MF 50 #1  

KKLAIS

Tractor
Massey Ferguson
Hi I'm looking at my first tractor. I've found an MF 35 deluxe with a gas motor in excellent all original condition, with basically all four tires new. I'm comparing it to a MF 35 Perkins diesel in good to very good condition with some rust on the fenders and the tool box completely rusted out. Oh it also needs the rear tires replaced soon. Both drive well and run fine, but the gas tractor is really in amazing condition for it's age. Now I've also found a MF 50 with the Perkins as well for the same price. I haven't seen it yet in person but the pics and owners description leads me to believe its at least very good. (I'm going to see it in person tomorrow, it's an hour and a half away)
Anyway any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm leaning towards the 50 just because of the live pto and Perkins diesel but I don't know if it's harder to get parts for ETC..

/ MF 35 Deluxe (gas) 35 diesel or MF 50 #2  
Hi I'm looking at my first tractor. I've found an MF 35 deluxe with a gas motor in excellent all original condition, with basically all four tires new. I'm comparing it to a MF 35 Perkins diesel in good to very good condition with some rust on the fenders and the tool box completely rusted out. Oh it also needs the rear tires replaced soon. Both drive well and run fine, but the gas tractor is really in amazing condition for it's age. Now I've also found a MF 50 with the Perkins as well for the same price. I haven't seen it yet in person but the pics and owners description leads me to believe its at least very good. (I'm going to see it in person tomorrow, it's an hour and a half away)
Anyway any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm leaning towards the 50 just because of the live pto and Perkins diesel but I don't know if it's harder to get parts for ETC..

The MF 35 with new tires/gas also should have a 2 stage clutch for your PTO. The Continental 4 cyl gas engine is a very good engine...depends on the hours vs the Perkins. I've got a '67 MF 135delux with the 4cyl Cont. It start on the 2nd revolution even at 20 degrees...of course I found this unit with only 675hrs on it...still had the original tires/front and rear on it. If the 35 is as nice as you say, it'll run for ever...otherwise I'd go with the 50...if you have to buy new rear tires you're looking at about $1K for good ones installed with fluid. BobG

/ MF 35 Deluxe (gas) 35 diesel or MF 50 #3  
I would have no problem taking the gas tractor either. Mine is a '73 MF135 with the Perkins gas. I've had the Perkins diesel and now the gas and either will do the job. I've let mine sit for 6 months and touch the starter 2-3 times and it would fire up. Either of the 3 would do the job but I would grab the gas model in the great condition it's in.

/ MF 35 Deluxe (gas) 35 diesel or MF 50 #4  
The 35 Deluxe is one sweet tractor, sounds like it would fit your needs, can't really go wrong with the diesels either. Let us know what you decide.

Harvey

/ MF 35 Deluxe (gas) 35 diesel or MF 50
I really do like the deluxe, and the condition is certainly one of the nicest tractors I've looked at. My main concern at this point is whether I'll be kicking myself for not getting the diesel. I'm going to go see the 50 in person tomorrow and then see who is willing to make the best deal.:confused:

/ MF 35 Deluxe (gas) 35 diesel or MF 50 #6  
The 35 and the 50 are quite similar except the 50 is longer and heavier better if you are pulling implements but it dose not turn as well as the 35.

/ MF 35 Deluxe (gas) 35 diesel or MF 50 #7  
I really do like the deluxe, and the condition is certainly one of the nicest tractors I've looked at. My main concern at this point is whether I'll be kicking myself for not getting the diesel. I'm going to go see the 50 in person tomorrow and then see who is willing to make the best deal.:confused:

My MF is a 1964 135 diesel deluxe with multipower. 35s are earlier models that were succeeded by the 135. Both engines are excellent. Nice thing about the gassers is that you can work on the carburetor yourself. If the injector pump goes out on the diesel, you'll have to get it fixed in a diesel shop. That can be pricey.

On 135s there are two weep holes on the bottom of the clutch housing. Sometimes there is a cotter pin in each hole. I figure it's the same on the 35s. Check the weep holes for oil leakage. If the hole is clogged, use a small twist drill or piece of stiff wire to unclog it. A few drops of oil is normal. A lot more leakage may mean that the rear engine seal is going bad.

Good luck.

/ MF 35 Deluxe (gas) 35 diesel or MF 50 #8  
Have a 135 gasser, Z134 Continental engine. Have rebuilt the alternator, re-cored the rad, rebuilt the carb, replaced the exhaust and fan (not the original installed when I bought it). Is kept outdoors under tarp so I take the time to clean all connections at least once a year, starts in the coldest and damp of mornings without any issues. Love it!

/ MF 35 Deluxe (gas) 35 diesel or MF 50 #9  
I am partial to diesels, but the older ones tend to start hard. The nice thing about the gassers is that they start easy, even in the winter. Unless you plan on using it a lot, the added fuel usage should not be an issue.

/ MF 35 Deluxe (gas) 35 diesel or MF 50 #10  
Hi, I am new on here but I wanted to comment about this thread. I have 2 Massey Ferguson 35 Deluxe tractors. One is a '60 and the other is a '64. Also, I have a 1968 Massey Ferguson 202 Workbull. All 3 have the continental gas engine. I love every minute of them. They are easy to work on and they are very reliable.