Final Chains-in-front experiment

/ Final Chains-in-front experiment #1  

Jay4200

Veteran Member
Tractor
L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211
I have turfs all the way around, and I've been running 2-link ladder v-bars on the front of my L4200 to run my rear-mount blower for the last couple of seasons. My tractor won't go a foot in the snow with the blower down in 2WD, but with the front chains in 4WD, it has performed perfectly. Some worry about lash damage with front chains, but there is no way that could ever happen - the physics just don't work out. Those nasty v-bars aren't going to slip - no way. Anyhow, I cleared the dozen or so 1-2 foot snowfalls last season on my 1000' drive with no control issues at all. I didn't ever have the situation with a really slippery ice base, however.

This past weekend, there was 5-6" of fluff on top of an inch of shear n' clear ice. I did a couple of spectacular Charlie Chaplin body splats just trying to stand next to the truck - it was brutal. Miraculously, the truck made it up our hill (new BFGs), but it was pretty sketchy in a few spots and I almost ended up in the front yard making the curve at the top. I was worried that my front-chain set-up might meet it's match, and the rear might decide to go sideways with little I could do. Well, that didn't happen. AAMOF, I didn't feel the slightest hint of control or steering loss. I'm now convinced that the front-chain trick is all that is ever needed. And, those danged 80 pound 2-link ladders for the rear are still in the box...not the best place to park $400.

JayC

/ Final Chains-in-front experiment #2  
Sounds like you got a system that works which is good. But I am curious as to why you didn't try running with just the rear chains first - or did you ?

/ Final Chains-in-front experiment
Sounds like you got a system that works which is good. But I am curious as to why you didn't try running with just the rear chains first - or did you ?

I never put them on. When I first got them last year, I did the fronts first, since they were pretty easy - lifting the front end with the FEL and all. After getting the fronts trimmed up and mounted, I realized that I could barely lift the rear chains, much less figure out a way to get them on (should done it before I took off the backhoe). The thought of wrestling them into position multiple times to get them cut right made me decide to wait until I had a traction problem to go though the hassle. So far, it's looking like they'll never go on.

It is possible that I would have more problems with just rears. Based on my garden tractor experience, I think steering could be an issue w/o front chains. With all 4 chained up, OTOH, I could climb a tree.

JayC

/ Final Chains-in-front experiment #4  
I usually run just my front until i absolutly need the rears. I find that works best for me. Our drive way is just flat but it is semi ditched for drainage so it does get icey on the sides. I finally fixed my rear chains this year and i installed them and i havent got to use them since it hasnt snowed much yet. But i am going to reuse my old cross links of my back chains(originally to narrow for back tires) and im gonna narrow them an inch to fit my fronts and then i will have brand new front chains(i have studed chain). Im hoping this will make a bigger improvment considering i just have standard chain right now.