Cold weather start

/ Cold weather start #1  

Jay4200

Veteran Member
Tractor
L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211
My glow plugs stopped working at the start of last winter and I've been too busy/lazy to diagnose and fix them. My tractor (L4200, 2600+ hours) started up fine all last year, though I don't think I ran it in temps less than about 25F. I keep a float charger on the battery, so it always has a good jolt to spin the starter. Saturday, after sitting a week (the tractor, not me), I started up when it was about 15F, after a <10F degree night. Started right up after 5-6 seconds of cranking. No block heater, no glow plugs. It seems my tractor is a pretty good cold starter, based on the problems I've read about on TBN. Is this actually unusual?

I also noticed some grey vapor coming out of the exhaust that started maybe 10 seconds after the tractor started - I thought that a cylinder wasn't firing, but the engine sounded perfect. It stopped after a minute or so - I convinced myself it was just condensation/frost that was in the exhaust system for some reason. Does that sound reasonable?

JayC

/ Cold weather start #2  
My glow plugs stopped working at the start of last winter and I've been too busy/lazy to diagnose and fix them. My tractor (L4200, 2600+ hours) started up fine all last year, though I don't think I ran it in temps less than about 25F. I keep a float charger on the battery, so it always has a good jolt to spin the starter. Saturday, after sitting a week (the tractor, not me), I started up when it was about 15F, after a <10F degree night. Started right up after 5-6 seconds of cranking. No block heater, no glow plugs. It seems my tractor is a pretty good cold starter, based on the problems I've read about on TBN. Is this actually unusual?

I also noticed some grey vapor coming out of the exhaust that started maybe 10 seconds after the tractor started - I thought that a cylinder wasn't firing, but the engine sounded perfect. It stopped after a minute or so - I convinced myself it was just condensation/frost that was in the exhaust system for some reason. Does that sound reasonable?

JayC

I wish I owned a diesel that started that good. Yours is the exception rather than the rule. Means yours is timed perfectly and have excellent compression. As for the grey smoke, I would not worry unless it starts doing it more and at warmer temps.

/ Cold weather start #3  
I have a Kubota L4400 and the Operators Manual -trouble shooting section- states this in regards to colored exhaust fumes. Black-fuel quality is poor,too much oil,the air cleaner is clogged. Blue White - the inside of exhaust muffler is dumped with fuel,injection nozzle trouble,fuel quality is poor. It does not say anything about grey vapor fumes..

/ Cold weather start
I have a Kubota L4400 and the Operators Manual -trouble shooting section- states this in regards to colored exhaust fumes. Black-fuel quality is poor,too much oil,the air cleaner is clogged. Blue White - the inside of exhaust muffler is dumped with fuel,injection nozzle trouble,fuel quality is poor. It does not say anything about grey vapor fumes..

It was probably the blue-white case - 5-6 seconds of cranking will surely coat the inside of the exhaust with fuel.

JayC

/ Cold weather start #5  
Looks like your engine is in excellent condition... But you should give it a little help with the glow plugs... It will help stretch the life of your starter & battery...
You can either repair, likely the controller, or just put a push button to manually activate the relay... KennyV

/ Cold weather start #6  
I honestly don't know if my glow plugs are working properly? How do you tell? When I turn my key on the glow plug light illuminates but only for less than a second. Even in cold cold weather it never stays lit for more than 1 second. Is this how yours was before they quit working or did the light stay on for a few more seconds?

IF mine aren't working properly then my engine sounds a lot like yours. Ive never had a problem starting it in the cold, it cranks over probably about as long as yours, but maybe an extra second or two once in a while, but always starts up. I'm glad you asked this because I've been meaning to post about mine for a long time so I'll be following your thread.

/ Cold weather start #7  
When it is in the 40's F my GPs are on about 4 seconds, in the 30's 6 seconds, 20's 7 seconds... in the low teens around 8 to10 seconds & I usually give it two shots of GP time anytime the temp is below 32 F... Engine lights up with one revolution ... KennyV

/ Cold weather start #8  
Just keep in mind that most of the wear on the internals of a internal combustion engine is done at start up. I beleive anything you can do to help with start up such as glow plugs, proper weight oil for climate, block heater, pre-luber ect.. is money in the bank.