Buying a used bush hog...

/ Buying a used bush hog... #1  

Mainah

Tractor
Kubota L3710
I'd like to pick up a used bush hog for my L3710. Our local buy/sell guide has a few 5' models for around $350.
Name brands aside, what are some things I should look for in a used hog? I'd expect some dents and scrapes...but know little else to check out. Any particular 'red flags' I should be looking for? Thanks!

/ Buying a used bush hog... #2  
Make sure the hitch A frame is straight, no breaks, any repairs are neat and sturdy. Turn the cutter's PTO shaft through a full blade rotation, check for rough bearings and gear tooth failure by sound AND feel. Check the gearbox oil; if it is fresh and new, check the downshaft seal and blade bar/ stumpjumper for signs of leakage. Blade bar/ stumpjumper should be tight on downshaft; no cracks or extra welds. PTO shaft telescopes easily, U-Joints sound, shielding complete and functional. Tailwheel frame straight, wheel castors and rolls smoothly on good bearings/ bushing. Discount for any shortcomings you decide to accept. Buy a brand you can get parts for readily.

/ Buying a used bush hog... #4  
John, you beat me to it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I can't imagine why I'd want to pay $350 for a used one I essentially know nothing about when for a little more I can buy new with warranty. On the other hand, I would like to buy a new one every few years if it only cost me a couple hundred bucks each time I did it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Buying a used bush hog... #5  
I refurbvish Bushhogs in my spare time and a used one unless in exelent condition and upgraded will only bring 250 I have 3 roughed up hogs that mow good but haf rusted through sheet metal i picked up for 75 dollars. I may skin them this week. I have a freind of mine that sell bushogs a friend makes, i can get factory seconds that have minor breaks and ma have a few things wrong pretty cheap. A good place to look is behind a tractor or implement dealer, alot of them take in trade ins and alot of the times you can find a great back lot beauty cheap.

/ Buying a used bush hog...
Thanks all...what you've said makes sense about buying new. What brands can you get new in the $500 range though?
Local dealers in my neck of the woods have Woods and Land Pride. Same buy/sell mag has two 5' Woods for $900 and $750 used...I don't think you can touch a new W/LP hog around here for $1000...but I am only just starting to look around.

/ Buying a used bush hog... #7  
You won't find a name brand R/C new for $500. These guys are talking about no-name ultra shortline bargain priced cutters. Not that they are a bad thing. Personally, I would (and have) paid a price in your range for a used name brand cutter in good shape. That is still much less than 1/2 the new price for the same machine. Check them over carefully though.

/ Buying a used bush hog... #8  
Jim, I saw some inexpensive ones at Hammond Equipment in Auburn. He also had some decent deals on new Woods cutters. Personally I would rather have a used Woods for the same price as a new cheaper brand, as long as it wasn't abused. You can also check with Rick at Scamman in Saco. They have some good prices on new Befco.
Pacesetter

/ Buying a used bush hog... #9  
Not 500 even.. but you should be able to find 5' cutters by KK or even store brand names.. like Tractor supply in the 500 range. I picked up my 5' KK hog at TSC... got a great deal.. opened one of their credit cards and got 10% off... kept the cutter under 550 with tax and all.. originally was only something like 550?.. but was an economy model.. but heck.. for that price.. I just had to try it.

No problems or leaks yet after 1 season of cutting mostly heavy briars and tall dogweed/ragweed.. occasional rock.

Soundguy

/ Buying a used bush hog... #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What brands can you get new in the $500 range though? )</font>

King Kutter and Howse are the ones I've seen and heard of the most.