Wheel Weights for a 54 Ford Tractor ?

/ Wheel Weights for a 54 Ford Tractor ? #1  

JayJay99

Tractor
1954 Ford NAA
I have had this 1954 Ford tractor for a couple of years now and it has a very nice heavy duty front loader on it, BUT, I think it would work much nicer if I had some wheel weights on the rear wheels to counter balance the large size of this front loader. Also in the winter when I'm plowing the rear tires seem to slip if I'm on any kind of hill. I have purchased some nice chains to put on the wheels, but some wheel weights would be nice for all year round.
The tires and rims someone put on this NAA are a little larger than the stock size. Tire size is 13.6-28 and the rim is 12-28. Do they even make wheel weights for these wheels? If anyone might know please leave me a note.
Thanks a lot!
John >>

/ Wheel Weights for a 54 Ford Tractor ? #2  
Yes they make/made wheel weights for your tractor i have a set for a 55 600 Ford

Best advise is to have your tires loaded with liquid Caci , Wwasher, rimgard etc your choice.

/ Wheel Weights for a 54 Ford Tractor ?
Thanks, I will have to look for the wheel weights to purchase. They probably make them in different size weights? Ok on the tire loading. I do have the wheels loaded with rimguard already. Just have to find where I can get those wheel weights.
Thanks,
John

/ Wheel Weights for a 54 Ford Tractor ? #4  
Thanks, I will have to look for the wheel weights to purchase. They probably make them in different size weights? Ok on the tire loading. I do have the wheels loaded with rimguard already. Just have to find where I can get those wheel weights.
Thanks,
John
John - A friend had a Jubilee Ford (early 50's?) that had wheel weights and chains. One day he let the clutch out quickly and the inner end of one of the axles broke. The axles are hardened at the inner splines and very brittle - can't stand shock loads. Because of his experience I've never wanted wheel weights on any tractor. Liquid fill has no rotational inertia - much easier on the drive train.

/ Wheel Weights for a 54 Ford Tractor ? #5  
with 13.6-28 tires on a naa, you must have at least 400# of ballast in each side. ( 43 gallons per side.. if it was plain water.. it would be 360# ..this assumes 75% fill ) I don't think I'd reccomend wheel weights.. you are already getting darn heavy... and the weights aren't gonna add THAT much more to the mix there... plus the axle load issue.

that naa axle is inferior to a 6xx axle, which is smaller than an 8xx axle. the 6xx and 8xx have different weight sets available.. with the 6xx taking lighter weights so as to not overstress the axle..

what about 3pt counterballance?

soundguy

/ Wheel Weights for a 54 Ford Tractor ?
That was very very interesting about the sheared axle and weight on the wheels. Last winter I was plowing and stopped for a break, then when I returned the tractor started up and just wouldn't move. I noticed the left wheel wiggle just a little in and out every twenty seconds or so. I took things apart and pulled the axle to find it was broken just past the splines where it goes into the differential. I pulled everything out and cleaned out the whole area, replaced the axle and bearings, and seals. Works fine now. I never knew what caused that break, but your explanation gives me clues to what might have caused that. I'm not using any wheel weights, but maybe I might have jerked that transmission too much with all that snow we had last year, or some similar stress with the clutch. Believe me I was not doing any burnouts...HA Ha....
The weight off the back end might be the best suggestion. I'll figure something out. But I don't want to block the use of my 3 point hitch if I have weight back there.
Thanks for the ideas!
John >>

/ Wheel Weights for a 54 Ford Tractor ? #7  
you can always make up weights that go on implements.. I made 5g bucket weights out of concrete that I could set on a box blade, so as not to loose the 3pt use..e tc.

soundguy