Rotary Cutter Looking for a rotary cutter recommendation...

/ Looking for a rotary cutter recommendation... #1  

couchsachraga

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4520 cab... formerly Yanmar 336D
Greetings...

Sorry to "beat a dead horse" here, but I've read through a lot of old posts and STILL can't figure out what to get, so I thought I'd post what I want to use it for, and see what all your friendly folks have to say /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've got a 33 hp Yanmar 4wd (w loader) diesel tractor, and a bunch of land clearing / keeping clear to do. Mostly Alder in the 1-2" range for the big stuff, and the odd cherry or maple sapling. Land is swampy and hilly and rocky (classic definition of the Adirondacks if there ever was one...).
I figure a 60 or 66" rotary cutter, but what brand? King Kutter does have some nice prices, but in the long run would I be better off spending the extra $$ for a Woods or Bush Hog? The dealer IS a lot closer than the nearest TSC, but King Kutter is half the price, or less.
I've also been thinking about Box Blades. I don't need pretty...are the King Kutters sturdy enough to put up with lots of rocks (I've already torn 1 84" Woods light duty blade apart (I picked it up used-it may have been cracked already)).

Thank you in advance for any and all advice!
Couchsachraga

/ Looking for a rotary cutter recommendation... #2  
Recently a local dealer had an open house and I was able to see a Woods cutter next to an inexpensive brand. Not a KK or Howse, but looked the same. There is no comparison in quality. When I start to clear my back three acres, I figure I'd get about a year out of the cheaper model before it became scrap metal. If you use it light and occasionally I'm sure the cheaper model will work fine, for the use you intend I would go with a medium duty quality model even if it meant I had to go smaller. JMHO
Pacesetter

/ Looking for a rotary cutter recommendation... #3  
Check out the Kodiac cutters. Look for CCI in some of my posts on 10' cutters. He is a dealer that sells the Kodiac. There is a huge difference in the cost of cutters that I have found. You really just need to go look at some of them. A trade show is your best bet when they will all be there and you can walk around and see them. King cutter, Kodiac, Big Bee, House, and there are others what I will call good quality (not the best) cutters. To get the top of the line, you will pay the price. From what I saw, I could buy two good quality cutters for the price of one really good one. With that, I am willing to try the good quality cutter.

/ Looking for a rotary cutter recommendation... #4  
For the use you describe, a King Kutter should do you fine. I've had my King Kutter rotary cutter for over 2 years and used it on the same type of stuff you describe, and it still looks and performs like it's brand new.

I disagree with the earlier post that it will be junk in a year. I give mine VERY heavy use for over 50 acres, and it has done the job and held up for two years. I expect that it will outlive me.

As John Miller III says, " You get a lot of bang for your buck with King Kutter." /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Looking for a rotary cutter recommendation... #5  
Couchsachraga;

Good question!

I pretty much have the same problem you do. I have been looking for a tractor for about three months now. I have narrowed my selection to a Kubota 4330 or JD 4610. If I were to purchase the JD I would get the MX5 cutter. I am however leaning towards the Kubota, which makes the choice of cutters more difficult.

The dealer can get Rankin, Woods and BrushHog. He is pushing a heavy duty Rankin 5 foot cutter over the other based on price.

I have 15 acres of rough, hilly land with heavy brush and trees up to about 2-3 inches.

Does anyone know how well the Rankin products compare to Woods and Brushhog?

Is the MX5 JD cutter comparable in quality to the others mentioned above?

Couchsachraga -- Hopefully I didn’t hijack your thread....

7sam15 --

/ Looking for a rotary cutter recommendation...
Actually, I would also be interested in any feedback on the Rankin (or any other Rotary Cutter out there (First Choice?)). Is there anyone who has owned / used both a King Kutter / First Choice / (insert brand that has good feedback here on the forum but is not a "brand name") and a Woods, Bush Hog, (insert "premium brand"), etc....

Thank you!
Couchsachraga

/ Looking for a rotary cutter recommendation... #7  
Hi folks,
I too have been looking at this topic in the archives. I'm in the N. TX area, and as mentioned previously by someone else, I've also looked at the King Kutter and Howse brands that are prevelant locally. I've looked in some farm equipment classifieds locally and noticed ads for 2 brands that I haven't seen before: Mohawk Bronco and Modern. Does anyone have any experience with these , or know of their relative cost to the other brands mentioned?
thanks,
stephen

/ Looking for a rotary cutter recommendation... #8  
We have Modern stuff around here (I think it is imported from south of the border, in Baja Oklahoma /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) It is slightly higher than King Kutter. But What I have seen had a VERY rough finish. It looks as if it would soon rust. I don't know anyone who's tried it, yet.

For some reason, I am thinking it had chain guards, which might make it a better buy than King Kutter.