EGR delete on new turbo Kubota?

/ EGR delete on new turbo Kubota? #1  

greenrider1

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 HSTC
Has anyone done an EGR delete on a L5240/L5740? I can't seem to find any information on this. It seems like it would be pretty simple, just a plate to block off the exhaust from going into the EGR cooler. There are kits available for all the newer diesel pickups and Volkswagen TDI's. Blowing diesel soot from the exhaust into the intake has never been a good idea for engine longevity or efficiency. Oil stays a lot cleaner without it, too. I know on the pickups and VW TDI's, one would need a plug in module to fool the ECU into thinking the EGR is still functioning, or else the check engine light comes on and shows a code. I don't think the Kubota's are this sophisticated with the electronics, or are they? Maybe these models with EGR are just too new on the market, so no one has developed a kit for them yet. I would appreciate any thoughts and information on this.

BTW, I know why the EGR is there and basically how it works to starve the engine of oxygen, to lower combustion temps to reduce Nox.

/ EGR delete on new turbo Kubota? #2  
The injection timing/fuel settings may be set such that the engine depends on the egr to keep from melting pistons too. You'd want a pyrometer before messing around too much.

/ EGR delete on new turbo Kubota? #4  
No electronics involved. I was going to do mine once warranty was off. I was going to rid the tractor of the whole setup. Just don't tell the environmental police.:laughing:
You can disable it right now with just a plug in the pressure line that activates the valve. Simple and takes 2 min.:thumbsup:

/ EGR delete on new turbo Kubota? #5  
kuboman,

Do you have any input regarding slow's cautions above? (I am way out in "Wiley E. Coyote unsupported over the canyon" zone regarding this type of issue.)

/ EGR delete on new turbo Kubota? #6  
EGR is a bad idea on diesel, that's for sure
copied below from wikipedia

By feeding the lower oxygen exhaust gas into the intake, diesel EGR systems lower combustion temperature, reducing emissions of NOx. This makes combustion less efficient, compromising economy and power. Diesel EGR also increases soot production, though this was mitigated in the US by the simultaneous introduction of diesel particulate filters.[6] EGR systems can also add abrasive contaminants and increase engine oil acidity, which in turn can reduce engine longevity.[7]

Though engine manufacturors have refused to release details of the effect of EGR on fuel economy, the EPA regulations of 2002 that led to the introduction of cooled EGR were associated with a 3% drop in engine efficiency, bucking a trend of a .5% a year increase

/ EGR delete on new turbo Kubota? #7  
Is the egr computer controlled? I will be purchasing a 5240 very soon and would like to do this asap to prevent any unnecessary soot being fed into the engine. Is it really just a block off plate or does the computer control the egr?

/ EGR delete on new turbo Kubota?
According to Kuboman, the EGR valve is pressure activated, and not controlled electronically. The "kits" which I am familiar with for Duramax Chevy's are basically just a plate that blocks off the exhaust from going into the EGR. You then need a programmer which fools the ECU into thinking the EGR is still functioning, or a check engine light will come on. I don't see anything electronic going to the EGR components on the L5740, so it shouldn't be an issue. I also can't see the combustion temps being raised to the point of melting pistons. As far as I know, the injection timing/fuel pressures don't need to be altered when doing an EGR delete on modern diesel pickups/cars, you just need to fool the computer so you don't get a check engine light. The EGR on the Kubota looks pretty simple. I can't believe no one out there has done this yet? I might have to call around to a few diesel shops to get some more info.

Last edited:
   / EGR delete on new turbo Kubota? #9  
GreenRider1,

Thanks for the information, I will be very interested in what you discover and a "how to" if you do yours.

/ EGR delete on new turbo Kubota? #10  
"EGR delete on new turbo Kubota?"

Still not understanding why you would want to mess with it ?

Your going to piss that computer off then what you going to do ?