vicon pendulum spreader parts help.

/ vicon pendulum spreader parts help. #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
Im trying to find the hydraulic cylinder that goes on a vicon pendulum spreader. I asked my local dealer but they deal with another company and my parts guy wasnt sure the guy he talked to understood what im looking for. Its a special hydraulic cylinder that replaces the lever setup for opening and closing the metering disc. I was told today that its over $4k for the cylinder which i really cant believe so im hoping some of our dealer members who deal with vicon can help me out and either confirm that price or find what I'm looking for at a more reasonable price. Thanks guys

/ vicon pendulum spreader parts help. #2  
When I checked on that same part some years back it was over $1,000 then. I ordered and electric type from Surplus center and built mine. It has a controller on it and have to teach it the stroke needed. Easy to teach and change as needed. I just press a switch and it opens to what I set it at and the same on closing. I think it's rated at 100 pounds pull. I left the hand handle connected and didn't have to drill any holes. I did make a bracket and used a split collar to attach the end of the cylinder to the frame of the spreader and came off the side of the collar to make it line up. I also just ran the hand adjuster all the way open so the cylinder would never break that part. It can be taught 2 settings and it's seldom I ever change the setting because I spread the same amount each time anyway.

I also added a level sensor because I spread with a cover over the hopper and need to know when it's empty. I use a outback s-lite and when I get the signal the hopper is empty I stop and use the return to point feature on the s-lite to get back to where I stopped.

I'm also getting out of cattle and need to sell the Vicon spreader. It's all set up for a cab tractor and is in great working order.

My dealer gets parts but where he gets them they only sell to dealers.

/ vicon pendulum spreader parts help. #3  
When I checked on that same part some years back it was over $1,000 then. I ordered and electric type from Surplus center and built mine. It has a controller on it and have to teach it the stroke needed. Easy to teach and change as needed. I just press a switch and it opens to what I set it at and the same on closing. I think it's rated at 100 pounds pull. I left the hand handle connected and didn't have to drill any holes. I did make a bracket and used a split collar to attach the end of the cylinder to the frame of the spreader and came off the side of the collar to make it line up. I also just ran the hand adjuster all the way open so the cylinder would never break that part. It can be taught 2 settings and it's seldom I ever change the setting because I spread the same amount each time anyway.

I also added a level sensor because I spread with a cover over the hopper and need to know when it's empty. I use a outback s-lite and when I get the signal the hopper is empty I stop and use the return to point feature on the s-lite to get back to where I stopped.

I'm also getting out of cattle and need to sell the Vicon spreader. It's all set up for a cab tractor and is in great working order.

What is a outback s-lite?

Do you have a part number for this: "I ordered and electric type from Surplus center and built mine. It has a controller on it and have to teach it the stroke needed. Easy to teach and change as needed. I just press a switch and it opens to what I set it at and the same on closing. I think it's rated at 100 pounds pull."?

/ vicon pendulum spreader parts help. #4  
What is a outback s-lite?

Do you have a part number for this: "I ordered and electric type from Surplus center and built mine. It has a controller on it and have to teach it the stroke needed. Easy to teach and change as needed. I just press a switch and it opens to what I set it at and the same on closing. I think it's rated at 100 pounds pull."?

I'd have to look but I'm pretty sure I used Item# 5-1577-12, 11.81" STROKE 107 LB. 12 VDC LINEAR ACTUATOR and Item# 5-1577-C,LINEAR ACTUATOR CONTROLLER

I mounted the controller buttons on the outside of and enclosure and the controller inside the enclosure and then added to cheap push buttons to open and close. Had to modify the wiring a little to get this like I wanted it. On the actuator length just open the hand lever all the way up and take a measurement for total stroke and then match to the actuator length you need. They sell several different lengths. I put all this together back in 2007.

The Outback s-lite is a guidance system. GPS. As high as fertilizer and nitrogen is now it pays for itself the first time if you spread 10 tons or more per year. I have everything set up to spread in the rain night or day with the s-lite. As high as nitrogen is I only spread when it's raining so I make sure it goes in the ground. GPS allowed me to do that and get it right.

/ vicon pendulum spreader parts help. #5  
Hello Robert,

I would call the prince hydraulics folks and tell them about your cylinder-
all it is a basic double acting hydraulic cylinder its certainly not going to cost you $4,000.00 for sure.

I am positive the Prince folks can replace it for you at much lower cost.

leon

/ vicon pendulum spreader parts help. #6  
Hello Robert,

all it is a basic double acting hydraulic cylinder its certainly not going to cost you $4,000.00 for sure.

leon

I've never seen one but what I've read it doesn't sound like it's a basic hydraulic cylinder. A good part of the linkage is plastic on the Vicon. A regular hydraulic cylinder would crush the plastic easily. The one I modified I made sure it couldn't travel to far either way and destroy the original parts. And it uses an encoder to repeat travel distance in both directions. Remember the opening stroke has to be controlled to get the proper flow of what ever you are spreading. And repeat each time it's opened and closed. I'm think Vicon has something a little special for this application. Granted it's not worth $4,000 or even $1,000 to me.

/ vicon pendulum spreader parts help.
Hello Robert,

leon

I don't have a cylinder currently, I am trying to change it over to a system that can be controlled by any tractor which is why I am looking at the hydraulic option. They cylinder has a relief valve if I recall welded onto it. Its designed to not destroy the plastic linkage on these spreaders. Cummins and Bricker are the distributer for them in this area and its been a hassle for my parts guy to get a good answer from them on this. Thats why I decided to ask on here to hopefully find someone who deals with a different dealer that can help me out.

Unfortunately, I change settings quite often. The best system to me is the one Vicon offers. I agree its not worth over $4k but I really don't want to go the electronic route unless I have no other choice because I want to be able to use this behind any of my tractors. I'm limited on what I can use to bale with because of the electronics on my baler and it is a challenge if one tractor goes down, I can't just hook it to any other tractor unless I wire up that tractor as well.

/ vicon pendulum spreader parts help. #9  
Robert I think you need to contact The Kvereland folks they are the Vicon Parent Company and are located in North carolina to get the right answer.

I cannot understand why Cummings and Bricker are behaving like this?

www.kvernelandgroupusa.com

I know their the parent group but all they will do is refer me to a dealer. Thats what I am trying to do here, see if any of our dealership members on here can help me out and I will rather give them my money then picking someone out of the blue from online.

I don't know whats going on with C&B either, they usually are pretty good but for some reason the guy my parts guy talked to didn't seem to understand. I am thinking he quoted the electronics system that is an option for these spreaders. I do know my parts guy is still looking but I need to get this thing ready so as soon as I can get in the vineyard I can start spreading potash.