aftermarket turbo kits

/ aftermarket turbo kits #1  

cougar21300

Tractor
Kubotas L5240, B7800, KX121
This is a repost, but it probably really should have been placed in this sub forum anyway. Having graduated from a normally aspirated L5030 to a turbod L5240, I know now that the turbo engines enjoy a HUGE increase in mid range torque. Also, last year I installed a well thought through turbo kit on my '91 Miata and it went from fun but anemic to BIG fun and fast! I've contacted the company that built my Miata kit and talked to them about perhaps working one up for some of the more popular tractors and was told that they actually have been considering this already, but is ther a company already offering one?? Here's the original post;
Anyone know of a company offering complete low boost bolt on kits for tractors similar to the kits available for the RTVs? Specifically I am searching for one to go on a customer's Kubota L4330hst. Thanks!
Peter

/ aftermarket turbo kits #2  
Why would you want to put a turbo on a tractor? Just buy a bigger tractor with more hp.

/ aftermarket turbo kits #3  
Why would you want to put a turbo on a tractor? Just buy a bigger tractor with more hp.

If I'm reading cougar21300's post right...the turbo is to be installed on a customer's tractor. Buying bigger may not be an option...

/ aftermarket turbo kits #4  
This is a repost, but it probably really should have been placed in this sub forum anyway. Having graduated from a normally aspirated L5030 to a turbod L5240, I know now that the turbo engines enjoy a HUGE increase in mid range torque. Also, last year I installed a well thought through turbo kit on my '91 Miata and it went from fun but anemic to BIG fun and fast! I've contacted the company that built my Miata kit and talked to them about perhaps working one up for some of the more popular tractors and was told that they actually have been considering this already, but is ther a company already offering one?? Here's the original post;
Anyone know of a company offering complete low boost bolt on kits for tractors similar to the kits available for the RTVs? Specifically I am searching for one to go on a customer's Kubota L4330hst. Thanks!
Peter

I'm not trying to rain on your parade but installing an aftermarket turbo on an engine not designed for the increased loads and temperature associated with turochaged engines can adversly affect the longevity and relaibility of the engine. If the horsepower and torque increases are large then the drive line that has to transmit that increased power and torque can be adversly effected also. In some case, the engine will be offered in a normally aspirated (NA) form with the capability of being turbocharged with no changes in other engine components. In other cases, the turboed engines get diferent pistons, bigger cooling oil jets, drive line strengthening , etc relative to the NA form. The only people that can advise you on this are the folks who design and build the units and they usually "ain't talking".
In my opinion, it's better to move up to a more powerful tractor unit than to try to put an aftermarket turbo on a NA engine. Likewise with "turning up the pump". However, it your $'s and your risk so it's your call.

That's my opinion for whatever it's worth.

/ aftermarket turbo kits
Jerry, a good point. The key is to find a well designed kit with a just a modest level of boost, if these parameters are adhered to a turbo is an extremely efficient, economical, and reliable power adder, especially on a diesel. My customers L4330 is a fairly low hour machine and actually has the same running gear and loader as the L5030s sold at that time (except for the 6/8 bolt rim difference). The type of turbo I seek for him would be focused toward increasing the midrange torque, not the ultimate full rpm full load hp. This is exactly how my L5240HST+ is tuned in comparison to my former L5030 and believe me the power difference between those two tractors is enormous, much more than 2 hp would imply. At my normal 16-1700 rpm loader work cruise, the L5240 will easily climb my 15% 1/2 mile logging road in third range. With the L5030 it wasn't even a consideration and the whole climb would need to be done in second. In truth it is only partly the turbo, being able to spit the third range of the HST plus must also be taken into account.
And why not just sell the customer a new bigger machine? certainly that would be better for me (commission), but not neccesarily for my customer. I'm sure that a simple low boost turbo kit would cost less than 4K, while bumping my customer from his perfectly good L4330 with only 800 hours, to a new L5240 would cost him closer to 20.

/ aftermarket turbo kits #6  
I was considering a turbo on my 1100 RTV if I added tracks. The problem is it runs so good now I hate to mess with a great piece of engineering. It is tempting though. One never has enough horse power.

/ aftermarket turbo kits #7  
I know that adding a turbo to some engines isnt right, but there is nothing wrong with it. I know my SL4 engine that is in my montana has an offering on it for a turbo from factory for light plant operations and other uses. Would i be scared to add one? No, but i would make it onlt probly run a few pounds of boost(max 4-5psi). I am also contemplating adding one to my montana as i would like a bit more power for when i am plowing and a turbo would definatly pick up the slack of were i am lacking.

/ aftermarket turbo kits #8  
And from what I understood from J.D. the difference between my 3320 and a 3520 was the turbo. Engine was exact. I couldn't see the extra expence when I didn't neet it. If I do in the future it will be added without a doubt. One of the reasons I bought that engine/tractor was a turbo could be added without any engine problems.

Last edited:
   / aftermarket turbo kits #9  
Had many retro fitted turbo's over the years .Ford 7840, Ford 6610,Ford 8210, Ford 7810, Fiat 110/90, MF 6160, JD 3050 , IH 1056 XL . No real trouble with any of them ..most were getting about 20% more power .
When the 7840 was done first we took it from 100hp to 160hp :) just for a while !

/ aftermarket turbo kits #10  
Is anyone familiar with adding a turbo to a Mahindra 3-cylinder diesel? Would like to get a few more horses from the 26 stock.