Question on Mid PTO Speeds

/ Question on Mid PTO Speeds #1  

CHUCKG

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD-2210
I am in the process of trying to decide what to buy and I am considering either the John Deere 2210, New Holland Boomer TC-24D, or a Kubota BX series. In looking at the specifications of these three types of tractors, I have noticed that the Rear PTO speeds are all the same at 540 RPM, but the Mid PTO Speeds are all different. The John Deere 2210 is rated at 2100 RPM, the New Holland is 2000 RPM and the Kubota's BX series are at 2500 RPM. Can someone tell me what the significance of these different Mid PTO Speed ratings would be as it would relate to using a 54 - 62 inch MMM?

Thanks, Chuck.

/ Question on Mid PTO Speeds #2  
Chuckg,

I am not sure I would be right about this but only would be me thinking and believe me it usually gets me into trouble. The rear PTO is a PTO that uses many different implements and typically not one of the manufacturer's of the tractor so they are standardised at 540 to handle most implements. The mid PTO is usually used for implements designed by the manufacture of the tractor. There is some generic implements out there designed to match up with the mid section. John Deere probably wants 2100 RPM for their mower to operate at maximun perfromance, New Holland wants 2000 and KUbota at 2500. It's just more the manufactures design. You typically won't be changing mid section implements from one brand to another like you would the rear implements.

Again this is just me thinking maybe some of the people that work on these things for a living can chime in.

murph

/ Question on Mid PTO Speeds #3  
ChuckG,

Murph is right on the money. Since Mid Mount equipment is typically designed specifically for that tractor or at least that manufacturer, it is not critical that all manufacturers have the same rpm. It is critical for the rear PTO, though. As it relates to the mowers, I would guess most mower BLADES turn at about the same RPM. There is gearing on the mower deck (in the form of gears or pulleys) to adjust the blade tip speed to whatever works best. Since all decks work roughly the same, the optimum RPM is pretty much the same across the manufacturers. Even if the PTO speed is different. While the Mid PTO on a BX is 2500, on an L3010, it is 2000. Not even consistent with the same manufacturer in a different model tractor.

Hope I've helped.

Nick

/ Question on Mid PTO Speeds #4  
<font color="blue"> Can someone tell me what the significance of these different Mid PTO Speed ratings would be as it would relate to using a 54 - 62 inch MMM?
</font>

The only relevance PTO speed has in comparing MMM's is blade tip speed. Trouble is you need to know gearbox ratios & Pulley sizes as well. The MMM specs might specify tip speed. Generally speaking, faster is "better" meaning nicer cut. Practically speaking, however, over a certain minimum number you aren't going to tell the difference. Cut quality is also infuenced by deck design, "suspension" - tractor hung vs. ground contact vs. "hybrid" (New Holland's setup is kind of both), and blade design, high lift etc.

Having mowed lawns professionaly in my younger years, I can say that the New Holland Deck gives a "pro quality" cut. From the feedback I've read here, I suspect that the JD 2210 & BX 2200 are also pro quality.

/ Question on Mid PTO Speeds
Just wanted to thank everyone who responded to my original question and cleared this matter up for me. I really appreciate your help. Thanks again.

Chuck