Reasonable starting price for 2012 3038e

/ Reasonable starting price for 2012 3038e #1  

BOC

Tractor
John Deere 3038e
As the title suggests, I need some help. After hours of researching and a couple sleepless nights I have decided to go with the 2012 John Deere 3038e.

From my own research and after looking at dealers across the country, it looks like $17900 is a reasonable price to try and get the dealer down to. This price includes the tractor, 305 loader, and draw bar.

Can anyone with any experience tell me if I am way off here. My local dealer is at $18800 and I think he needs to come down about a grand for what I have listed above. I realize Deere is running the $1000 off with the purchase of two implements. I am not including this deal in my price.

Again, would I be out of line to walk in there and start negotiating around $17900? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Many thanks!!!
BOC (long time reader, first time poster with buyers anxiety)

/ Reasonable starting price for 2012 3038e #2  
I bought a 3032e this fall with 305 FEL and box blade pkg deal with 0% for $16,500, if that helps. Dealer priced 3038e for $1000 more. shop around, saved an additional $600 by going to another dealer 22 miles away.

/ Reasonable starting price for 2012 3038e #3  
It's certainly more friendly and a better approach by first asking if the price is a "hard/firm" number. Usually the salesman or dealer with counter with another price or if he's open to hearing your offer - he'll simply state that there's some "room" to work with.

Generally, I start somewhat lower than I'm really willing to go. And work up; incrementally from there.

Sometimes, there's no "room" to work with on price. Just gotta recognize that; and move on. However, you've left on friendly terms and can always come back for parts, service, advice and/or warranty service if necessary.

Good luck.

AKfish

/ Reasonable starting price for 2012 3038e
Well AKfish I guess you misunderstood my post. I'm not looking to go in there and strong arm anyone.

All I am asking then is to give me a little help with a starting point I guess. From my research I threw out a number that I thought was accurate and I'm trying to validate it.

Thank you for your time guys!!!

/ Reasonable starting price for 2012 3038e #5  
The local dealer has an ad in the paper for a 3038e with loader and rear blade for $16995 with 0% for 60 months. So I would say you have a little wiggle room.

/ Reasonable starting price for 2012 3038e #6  
I'm also looking right now, but at the 3032e. For the 3038e, the best price I could find is $17,099 for the 3038e with the loader only. This is from Mutton Power Equipment: John Deere Compact Utility Tractors | Mutton Compact Tractor Sales

The prices I am seeing here locally seem to run $300 to $500 more for the financed price. For instance for the 3032e with loader only, I was quoted $16,300 vs the $15,800 price I see on Mutton Power Equipment's site. I'm not sure if you are paying cash, but there is definitely a little difference between the cash price and the 0% financed price - so the best prices that we read here might have not been for financed purchases.

The prices I am being quoted include the rebates, and it seems Mutton's prices do as well. So, I would think that a price of $17,100 - $17,500 financed, including rebates would be fair. Just my opinion from my research....

/ Reasonable starting price for 2012 3038e #7  
Just bought a new 3038E with FEL for about $17,800. I had a trade-in, so any wiggle room would have been what I got for that, and I was pleased. Did learn, however, that the stated price for a 3038E on the lot around here includes $200 for turf or industrial tires. I wanted ag tires, so they knocked off $200 for that. Every little bit helps.

/ Reasonable starting price for 2012 3038e #8  
Looks like your msrp is $20,426 which doesn't include freight, setup or sales tax. It does include factory installation of the loader complete with a 61" bucket ready to go. If I were to go in an order one tomorrow I woulld offer them $17,000. and see if I could get it, my walk away price would be anything over $17,500. Hope that helps.

FWIW, AKfish is one of the most helpful people on this forum, I in most cases (including this one) agree with his posts.

/ Reasonable starting price for 2012 3038e #9  
Well AKfish I guess you misunderstood my post. I'm not looking to go in there and strong arm anyone.

All I am asking then is to give me a little help with a starting point I guess. From my research I threw out a number that I thought was accurate and I'm trying to validate it.

Thank you for your time guys!!!

Well... this wouldn't be the first time that's happened or likely the last! :D

However, given that you already have a price point in mind - you've done some "homework" - and calculated some level of discount from MSRP.

I don't know if your price point is reasonable or not...

The final sale price of JD's economy tractors is typically closer to MSRP than the higher end models. If you beat 10% less than MSRP - you done good!

Good luck.

AKfish

/ Reasonable starting price for 2012 3038e
Thanks for all the helpful replies guys, I really do appreciate it. And AKfish, hopefully there are no hard feelings. FWIW, I did not mean to come across in a mean manner. You offered good advice and I will heed it.

And Steve, that walk away price of $17,500 is that including the $1,000 rebate they are running for the purchase of two implements(making it more like $18,500) or would you then expect it to be taken down to $16,500?

Again, I can't thank you guys enough for your input!!
BOC