mf 240 pto horse power

/ mf 240 pto horse power #1  

Anonymous Poster

i have a 1986 model mf 240 i believe the engine is rated at 41 hp but was wondering what the pto is rated at. also what size tiller would it pull well.thanks for replying.

/ mf 240 pto horse power #2  
duramaxlt,

I'm sure John Miller III will paste in the exact specs for your machine here in just a few minutes. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Genereally speaking the PTO HP is about 85% of engine HP. This is what I've read here and elsewhere. This conversion works out correctly for my particular tractor. Hope this help a little someone will surely pop in with more detailed info.

/ mf 240 pto horse power #4  
For tillers, the problem with many tractors such as your MF can be not the PTO HP, but the lowest gear... HST machines can just slow down to a near stop at PTO RPMs, but your tractor will need to move at a fixed speed in first gear when the PTO is at 540rpm. Yes you can ride the clutch... but that's not too great either (a constant ground speed is best).

With the engine at the "PTO" speed, how slow does your tractor go in the lowest gear?

/ mf 240 pto horse power
i'm not sure but it would be very slow in low 1 is 540 rpm all that is required to run tiller. also it takes at least 60" to cover tracks on my tractor 66" would be better

/ mf 240 pto horse power #6  
I'd go atleast 6' tiller.
w/ over 40 pto hp it will run fine.
I ran a 74" on 27 pto hp w/ gear drive.

/ mf 240 pto horse power #7  
To help cover your tracks you might want to consider a tiller that has a "side shift" ability. That way a narrow tiller still sticks out beyond the tractor tire on one side.