Thinking about a 1702D with issues

/ Thinking about a 1702D with issues #1  

skylarkguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MT372, Ford NAA
Hi,

I recently ran across a Yanmar 1702D that might be for sale. It is a friend of a friend kind of situation. The tractor apparently runs but has a mysterious transmission problem that precludes operations. The current owner doesn't know too much about it but says "there is something in there" that commonly breaks and the parts are unavailable due to the grey market status of the tractor. So my questions are...

1. does this tractor have a known transmission weakness that commonly fails?
2. If so how fixable is it?
3. Any other issues common on this tractor I should be concerned about?
4. in your opinions what would you offer on a tractor that runs, has this trans problem but is equipped with FEL, small mower and tiller?

I think I likely could tear this down and do the repairs myself if the parts are available. If I could pick this up for a decent price it would really increase my operations capability...

Thanks

/ Thinking about a 1702D with issues #2  
The first thing I would consider is whether I want to buy a new hobby. Fixing the transmission is going be one, at least for a while. The transmissions in these Yanmars are pretty reliable, but any mechanical system can develop a problem just due to abuse or normal wear. The good news is that there are a lot of really knowledgeable people on here who can give you great advice as you tackle the problem(s).

If in good condition, the tiller is worth $500 and mower probably at least $500. The FEL could also be worth $1000 or more. If nothing else, you could sell these off to recoup $2000 of the cost. If the rest of the tractor is in good mechanical and physical condition, I would say that if you could get it all for $3000, it's a good deal. Good luck!

/ Thinking about a 1702D with issues #3  
Id go with what G said, but the loader is probly $1500 still an easy sell. The tractor i think should still only sell for at most $2000 in that shape. If its a gear thats busted they may be right, no longer availible, unless Hoye can pull something off a parts machine.

/ Thinking about a 1702D with issues #4  
Yes, I would definitely check into parts for it first.

/ Thinking about a 1702D with issues #5  
G, im not trying to get down to a price argument but for the OP i say the price i do as your taking a risk and taking the whole thing off his hands. Yes its worth more than the $2k i said but so is a junk car you buy for $350 from someonee. Scrap may be $300, but you start looking at the rims are worth $10 a piece and tires $20 if there good, the door is worth $50 the hood $75 etc etc. Its one of those things if it were parted out its worth way more but you have to pull it and then sell it all.

/ Thinking about a 1702D with issues #6  
I had a tractor that the trans was " bad". It turned out to be a shifter fork broken buy a wheel being shipped on top of it from Japan. I pulled the top aff and welded the fork back. It is still working as far as I know. But that said, the YM 1703 was one of the between the cracks machines when I dealt with them. Ther wasn't many out there to get parts from.

/ Thinking about a 1702D with issues #7  
Dirty Harry would say, "Do you feel lucky, punk? Well do ya?!" :D

/ Thinking about a 1702D with issues #8  
I had a tractor that the trans was " bad". It turned out to be a shifter fork broken buy a wheel being shipped on top of it from Japan. I pulled the top aff and welded the fork back. It is still working as far as I know. But that said, the YM 1703 was one of the between the cracks machines when I dealt with them. Ther wasn't many out there to get parts from.

"1703"??? im guessing you meant 1702 as thats what the tread is about.

/ Thinking about a 1702D with issues #9  
You know of another 1702D in the area? I figured I was the only one. I've never had a problem with the trans in mine (knock wood). If you pass on it let me know, I'd love to see about getting the FEL.

Bryan
Near Willamina, OR, work at RadioShack in Dallas

/ Thinking about a 1702D with issues
Thanks for the feedback. I currently have a Mitsubishi so have similar issues with hunting for parts, although it rarely needs parts. I hear what you are saying on the relative value of the parts compared to the total purchase price of each good component.
The take home: thus far the part situation is unknowable until I bust into the transmission and even if I can't get the parts the sum of the remaining could be sold to recoup the costs...that is how I'm pitching it to my wife anyway:)

Willamina OR...I'll let you know if I pass and send you his way.

Thanks for the feedback