Chipper Bearcat 45540 PTO chipper

/ Bearcat 45540 PTO chipper #1  

Mattmotors

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2310 TLB
Just want to add my 2 cents on my chipper. I have an Echo /Bearcat 45540 PTO chipper.I purchased this model because I felt as though it would meet my needs. And it does.I have it hooked up to a Massey Fugerson 2310 TLB. I fit into the Home owner occasional use category. Two things I liked about this chipper is that it will take a 4.5 inch log and it has a lever to engage the chipper after you already engaged the PTO. This is what I found: Chip a big log, Yes, but it might slow my tractor a little bit. Self feed , I don't think so. If you look at chipper ads, they are chipping the most perfect straight logs. Try finding one in the woods. I don't think so. I push my logs in and the machine chips them right up. The engagement lever , I can chip in either position. Maybe my belts have to break in a little bit ,or something is out of adjustment. I guess I have to call on that one. Overall, for a home owner with a chunk of woods on the property, not a bad chipper. For the professional or landscaper, get a power feed chipper.

/ Bearcat 45540 PTO chipper #2  
I have the 71854 Bearcat with gravity feed. Works well but it will be converted this winter to hydraulic feed. I have a 55 hp New Holland running it and it takes alot of power when chipping the 4 to 5 inch material.
One item I noticed they sure get a high dollar for their self feed option.

/ Bearcat 45540 PTO chipper #3  
Has anyone reversed, or exchanged, the chipping blades on their 45540? I have a second hand unit - works well but I want to reverse the blades (doesn't look like the other edge has been used). My only problem is that I can't loosen the bolts holding the blades in/don't want to strip the allen wrench holes. Would using a bit of heat help?

Thanks

/ Bearcat 45540 PTO chipper #4  
A little heat should help quite a bit. A lot of heat might be a problem with the debris in the chipper.

But you could first try soaking the bolts from both sides in Ed's Red (equal parts acetone, transmission fluid, solvent of most any kind) or Kroil. Re-apply the solvent after a few hours and then try the bolts the next day.

I have removed, turned over, replaced, sharpened (can't do much or the blade is too recessed), and so forth with mine. A spare set of blades from Tennessee Saw and Knife is nice to have around.

Blades (knives) can look sharp but not do the job. You will likely be amazed when you use the other side of the knife if they have not been used yet. A saw shop can usually sharpen blades. Ask around.

/ Bearcat 45540 PTO chipper #5  
Do what gw says. In addition you could use a newly cut off allen wrench so the end is not worn and fits the hex head tightly. I cut the short section off so I am left with a straight piece of hex. I put that in a socket and use an electric impact wrench to loosen tough cap screws.

BaileysOnLine also carries knives for you chipper

/ Bearcat 45540 PTO chipper #6  
Thanks. I have a new set of larger size wrenches as I didn't have one big enough previously. did spray them but will try leaving it longer + will use a stronger mixture. I cleaned out the chipper when I took the chute off - was worried a bit of heat might damage the blades tempering; although, I'm sure they get fairly hot when in use.