Tractor starts then dies

/ Tractor starts then dies #1  

Todd 8691

Tractor
1963 case 300
My tractor will start but then die almost immediately. It is a Case model 300 gas engine. Any suggestions would be great this is my first tractor.

/ Tractor starts then dies #2  
There are 3 things with a gas engine 1 air, 2 spark,and 3 fuel. If you remove or ****** any of the 3 there will be no joy. So, you have spark (if not the engine would not have started in the first place), next check air supply and then fuel
It sounds as if your problem is either in the carb or with the fuel supply.
I would first remove the air filter and start it. If it keeps running without the filter you have your solution.
If not is there enough preasure on the fuel line?
If it is gravity fed (no fuel pump) then take off the tank, drain it and check for obstructions in the tank, screen, bowl, and line. If it has a fuel pump you will need to check the preasure. Now that your tank is clean and there are no obstuctions in the fuel supply try a restart.
If there is still no joy see if the foat in the carb is sticking you may have a gummed up carb and it may need to be cleaned.
Let us know if this helps.

/ Tractor starts then dies #3  
My tractor will start but then die almost immediately. It is a Case model 300 gas engine. Any suggestions would be great this is my first tractor.

For a spark ignition engine in reasonable mechanical condition to run properly, you have to have spark at the right time and the proper fuel to air ratio.

I'm not familiar with your specific tractor or engine, but here are some checks you can make.

Remove the center wire from the distributor, hold it near a good ground and try a start. You should have a FAT, BLUISH-WHITE SPARK, the color of lightning. A bluish, reddish or yelloish spindly spark doesn't cut it. If you don't have the resquisite spark, there is some thing wrong in the primary ignition circuit (the circuit from the battery through the key switch through the coil to the distributor and then to ground). It could be a improperly set points, burned, dirty, oily, corroded points, bad condensor, bad ground, bad coil, bad ignition switch), etc. If you have a ballast resistor in a "bypass circuit" and the engine repeatedly starts when you crank the starter but dies when you release the starter switch or key, then that ballast resisitor has an open circuit and needs replacement.

If you have a FAT, BLUISH-WHITE SPARK, then check for fuel delivery and make sure that your mixture adjustments on the carb are correct. make sure that the fuel tank vent is unclogged.
Systematically make thse checks and you'll find the problem.

/ Tractor starts then dies #4  
try cleaning float bowl and checking to see if fuel enters bowl. if it doesn't check pin in fuel line at entrance to bowl

/ Tractor starts then dies #5  
try cleaning carburetor float mechanism. sometimes the float sticks and only runs on gas in bowl.

/ Tractor starts then dies
Checked the spark all good fuel lines all good there is gas filling the carb and the tractor will start right up,and then die almost instantly. it will also stay running as long as you are spraying carb cleaner into the carb. It is gravitry fed but when you pull the fuel line gas pours with no problem. Thanks everybody.

/ Tractor starts then dies #7  
Is there a choke?

Have you tried adjusting the idle screw on the carb?:)

/ Tractor starts then dies #8  
IF it will continue to run with a constant spray of carb clean, air and spark are not the problems.....it is FUEL.

Getting fuel to the carb is only half the battle. It has to get from the carb to the engine AND IN THE RIGHT AMOUNT.

You might need to take the carb appart and clean/rebuild it. IT could have a passageway or jet plugged up.

I am also not familiar with that particular model, so you may want to do a little more research to see if you can find a parts diagram and/or rebuild kit if you dont feel comfortable tearing it appart.

Last edited:
   / Tractor starts then dies #10  
so you may want to do a little more research to see if you can find a farts diagram

Well, he did say it was getting gas. :laughing: