John deere 318 engine problems

/ John deere 318 engine problems #1  

Bwgad96

Silver Member
Tractor
Wayy to many.
I have read in the past that the 300 series John deeres have been famous. I am not shore how factual this is but I also know that there was different models of engines in the 318 between years. Is there a certain model or years of tractor I should avoid? Thanks

/ John deere 318 engine problems #2  
I'm pretty sure the 318 only had one engine which was the Onan. Prior to 1986 or 1987,they had the point system ignition,then the electronic. I guess best thing is just look for late 80's on.

Greg

/ John deere 318 engine problems
Ok thank you

/ John deere 318 engine problems
And I'm sorry I just noticed that I completely forgot to put famous for engine problems sorry!!

/ John deere 318 engine problems #5  
And I'm sorry I just noticed that I completely forgot to put famous for engine problems sorry!!

Not so. Don't know why people want to shy away from this engine. It's a beast.:)
The Onan when properly taken care of like any other engine will last quite a long time. I have a 1987 316 with 1000 hours still going strong. There are many with 1,500 and even 2000 hrs still running strong. I'm a firm believer that a machines longevity is all about preventive maintenance and taking care of your equipment.:thumbsup:

Greg

/ John deere 318 engine problems #6  
The 318 came either with a b43 or a p218 engine.

The B43 was known to shed teeth off of the cam gear occasionally but this was cured in the 218.

Life expectancy is around 1500hrs or until it blows up. The problem I have with the onans is that they put the oil filter in the path of the cooling air on one side. This can make that side run hot and cause wear.

The modern V twin engines (Kohler and Briggs) are supposed to be rated for 3K hours.

/ John deere 318 engine problems #7  
When I was researching information regarding the engine used in a 318, I called Onan and asked a few questions. Was told this engine in this application was good for 2000 hrs. When I replaced mine, engine had >1700 hrs on it and I seem to recall the hr meter was broke when I purchased and was replaced. Still have one of these engines as used on my genset on the motor home. At 1700 hrs, engine was geting tired and using a little oil.

Good engine, very dated design by today's std and parts have always been on the spendy side.

/ John deere 318 engine problems #8  
RaisedByWolves said:
The 318 came either with a b43 or a p218 engine.

The B43 was known to shed teeth off of the cam gear occasionally but this was cured in the 218.

Life expectancy is around 1500hrs or until it blows up. The problem I have with the onans is that they put the oil filter in the path of the cooling air on one side. This can make that side run hot and cause wear.

The modern V twin engines (Kohler and Briggs) are supposed to be rated for 3K hours.

That explains why a lot of the ones you see used have a blown cylinder on one side. They dont make the Onan anymore and parts are pricey. 1500 hrs is just an average. Some last longer and some not so long. ;)