Looking for value in a utility tractor... Workmaster 55?

/ Looking for value in a utility tractor... Workmaster 55? #1  

mogwai

Tractor
NH Workmaster 55
Hi folks,
Great forum, lots of good experience and nice folks. I'm about to buy a new tractor and would appreciate some feedback from the collective.

8-10 yrs from retirement; 60 ac mostly level ground, about 35ac are fallow tillable acres; 300yd driveway and farm-style dooryard in northern WI. Want to buy new & use it until we leave the farm. We can afford to spend some money, but are not made of money. ;)

I've driven smaller older tractors most of my life. The newest was probably 1980s mfg. and the biggest was probably <50hp. I've sat on new Bobcat & NH compacts and find them to be very confining. Workmaster gives me room to spread out.

I plan to move snow with this tractor, FEL w/ snowplow attachment. I till a 1ac garden & 2-3 ac foodplot/squash garden annually. I have old bldgs, downed trees, etc, that need to be cleaned up.

We have not finalized plans, but options include native grass seed nursery & u-pick fruit trees, shrubs & vines for the fallow fields. I'm thinking about little beef cattle on the10-15 ac rougher pasture & that means boundary fence & possibly haying. I might also do some custom foodplot work, but that is really fuzzy.

I think 45-55 hp & fwd would be the right target for my needs & plans. I've been looking at utility and not compact. Possible tillage and haying make me leery of hydrostatic transmission.

Given the above, I'm leaning towards a NH WM55. Important consideration is that we have a good NH dealer nearby. But set that aside and tell me if you have a better suggestion for a tractor that will last 20 yrs and then help me load the family treasures as we head for warmer climes.

/ Looking for value in a utility tractor... Workmaster 55? #2  
take a look at kubota M series, or Jd 5000 series I came close to buying a 5055e before getting my L5740

The 5000 series from jd are well respected utility tractors the previous 5xxx series were workhorses 5303 was 65 hp

/ Looking for value in a utility tractor... Workmaster 55?
workasterlittle2.jpg

We liked what our local dealer had to offer. :thumbsup:

/ Looking for value in a utility tractor... Workmaster 55? #4  
Very nice. I'll bet it won't be that shiny for long ;)

Enjoy and be safe.