Finish mower size

/ Finish mower size #1  

dclymer

Tractor
N.H. tc21
I have a NewHolland tc21 and would like to go to a larger finish mower, I now have a 50 inch rear mower and would like to go as big as can . Any advice ?
Dee

/ Finish mower size #2  
Dee,
I have a TC18 and I use a 60'' rear finish mower with no problems at all. As long as you are going to use a finish mower and not a rotary cutter, you should be able to go a little bigger then my 60''. You should check New Holland's web page to see what they reccomend.
-Dave

/ Finish mower size #3  
I run a 60" on my JD 4100 (~20 pto hp), with no problems. It takes some real forgotten lawn conditions to make it even grunt. I wouldn't be suprised if it would run a 72".

I would guess that you'd be fine with a 60", but I'd borrow or test a 72" before buying.

/ Finish mower size #4  
I have a Ford 1210 (16HP) and a Kubota B7500 (21HP), and both are equipped with 60" RFM's. The Ford has a Caroni, and the Kubota has a Landpride, which is a good bit heavier. The Ford would be a bit light for the Landpride - tried it and didn't like it. The mowing was OK, but handling was like hitching a 30 travel trailer to an S10 Blazer................chim

/ Finish mower size #5  
I would think your 21hp unit would be fine to power a 72" finish mower for typical lawn mowing. When I bought my Douglas 72" finish mower 15 years ago there was a strange sentence in the owner's manual that stated the warranty would be void if used with a tractor with greater than 25 PTO hp. Obviously the mfg thought that 25 PTO hp could damage the unit.

At that point in time the mower was being used with a Ford 9N and it handled it just fine. Now the mower is used behind the TC40D which is way too much power, the mower can slow down in grass and the belts slip long before the engine even thinks about grunting. If you keep the blades sharp and you don't try to cut a 1ft tall thick lawn then you should be ok.

/ Finish mower size #7  
I wouldn't consider anything under a 60" if you consider the amount of torque the diesel engine has vs a gas it's obvious there will be no trouble pulling it.. a 23hp kohler will pull a 62" mid-mount deck...considering yours has ~19hp I'd hope it would pull that it probaly has a good 7-10LB of torque more..

Just make sure you get a rear discharge to help keep from bogging it down and don't bush-hog with it.. 6-8" max.. or if it bogs it down too much just raise the height a little..

My hinomoto throws a 72" around and I think new holland says you need 29hp .. although it is the only implement i need a lot of frontend weight..#250..

/ Finish mower size #8  
Do you have anything on the front of your tractor?

My B7500 does wheelies with my 60" mower (~525lbs) raised (I don't raise it unless I must and I'm going real slow in a straight line).

/ Finish mower size #9  
There are 2 things to consider, PTO HP and weight. If you have flat ground and mow often so the grass doesn't get too tall and/or thick, you could probably get by with a 6' mower. But, if the grass gets tall and thick and/or you have to go up any significant hills (15 degrees or more), you'll run out of HP. My 6' rear finish mower weighs about 650 lbs. So, that extra weight and the weight of the tractor, combined with mowing the grass will eat up HP going up a hill. You'll also need a fair amount of weight on the front to keep your front wheels on the ground, even on flat ground. My TC29D, which is close to 1000 lbs heavier than a TC21, doesn't need any weight on flat ground, but I need 65 lbs of weight on the front to be able to keep the front end on the ground if I go up hill. I'd go by the NH book and go with a 5' mower.

/ Finish mower size #10  
I'd stop at a 60" mower. I had a 72" on my 25 hp Ford 1720 and occasionally bog it down. If you're cutting every week or two and the grass is being kept relatively short, you might be OK to step up even further, but I'd think that size deck is getting a little large physically for your tractor.