BX Too Heavy For Mowing

/ BX Too Heavy For Mowing #1  

kcender

Platinum Member
Tractor
GR2120 B2650 Cab
I know a lot of people use their BX to mow their lawns.I have started to notice depressions in my lawn from the tires on my BX 2360.I try to mow in different patterns to avoid this but in some areas it is not possible such as mowing around the house or garage.The tractor,mower deck,fluids,and me is probably around1750 to 1800 pounds which seems like quite a bit for a mowing tractor.I have been seriously considering selling the BX and getting a GR 2120 as I only use the BX for mowing and the GR is about 500 to 600 pounds lighter.Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this and if they notice depressions from mowing with their BX tractor.I realize the GR is not as much tractor as a BX but for strictly mowing I am thinking it should do just as good a job.I don't need a 4WD tractor for mowing but it makes it a lot easier as I have some hilly areas to mow.This is why I am considering one or the other of these two tractors.

/ BX Too Heavy For Mowing #2  
Easy. Trade the bx in on a new simplicity prestige awd.

/ BX Too Heavy For Mowing #3  
Yes, mine does it some, but not that bad. Its not bad enough I would even think about getting rid of it. The truth is, a push mower probably gives a better cut than any kind of rider.

/ BX Too Heavy For Mowing #4  
Why did you spend that much money on a tractor just to mow? I saw an add on a Husky 0-turn mower today for $3885.00. If all you are doing is mowing, sell that bad boy. Get a zero-turn, and pocket the rest. No-brainer IMO.

Great little tractor though, huh:thumbsup:

/ BX Too Heavy For Mowing
Why did you spend that much money on a tractor just to mow? I saw an add on a Husky 0-turn mower today for $3885.00. If all you are doing is mowing, sell that bad boy. Get a zero-turn, and pocket the rest. No-brainer IMO.

Great little tractor though, huh:thumbsup:

When I bought the BX I had future plans for it other than mowing but you know what they say about the best laid plans.My situation now is that I will probably use it for mowing only.Other than the financial loss I will take from selling it,I would have the GR, but that is what is making me question selling it.

/ BX Too Heavy For Mowing #6  
I have a BX2200 with the ag (bar) tires on it and have mowed for 10 years now, without rutting up my yard. The key for me is to not mow when the yard is saturated from rains. I also mow 4 directions staggering tires every so often just be sure that I don't have issues.

I would mow this way even with a lightweight craftsmen (MTD) garden tractor in the past as well. The best your yard will look is by cutting with a push mower, but for me, that ain't gonna happen! :)

/ BX Too Heavy For Mowing #7  
Gee I mowed with a BX23, a B3200, and now a Grand L3540. As others have said before, mow when it's not soaking and change your directions. I mow about 2 acres and do not have an issue, but then again my grass is green but like a golf course either.
DevilDog

/ BX Too Heavy For Mowing #8  
I mow with my zero which weighs about 900lbs, the 2810Hst Mahindra is heavy and my Kioti Dk35SE HSt has loaded rears and FEL on and leaves no marks. Unless you have a lot of ambution bottled up some where keep doin what your doin, life is short man! . . .:laughing: John

/ BX Too Heavy For Mowing #9  
My NH 1030 weighs 1517lbs empty and add on another 521lbs 6ft rear finish mower to that and I sink in less and never get stuck like I did before with a Toro Zero Turn ZX480 mower with a 48" mower deck. Lighter is not always better in soft ground. It is how wide your tires are and how you deliver the power and weight from the wheels to the ground.

/ BX Too Heavy For Mowing #10  
IF you are noticing depressions, then you are mowing when its still wet. When soil is claylike, wet and still cold then it will "part" when driving over it. You just gotta time it better between rain and drying time, otherwise just wait a bit longer. My yard does the same, and there are couple areas that I just skip until it dries out.

Right now its spring, you just need to wait a few weeks before saying its not worth it with BX as reason to sell. I really don't think its too heavy all summer long mowing. I do admit though- I have a el cheapo mower for 200 bucks just for keeping grass low in wet areas if it gets too high. You can't beat the dependability with a BX.