IH 424 transmission question

/ IH 424 transmission question #1  

JohnsIH424

Tractor
IH 424
I was adding transmission fluid to my tractor and am a little confused. I have the 424 with front mounted pump, power steering, continuous running pto, and draft control. The operators manual says if you have all that it takes 17 gallons:confused: but doesnt the pump run the lift and power steering (which that reservoir only takes 3 gallons. wouldn't the transmission only take 5 gallons or are the systems interconnected in some way? I added six gallons to it and it started leaking from where the diff lock is located. Appreciate any help you can give. Thanks.
john

/ IH 424 transmission question #2  
I used to have one of these. The trans. and Hyd. are not connected. The best I remember, the trans. level plug was at running board level at the left brake peddle. I don't recall amounts but if the trans. oil level is to that plug, you should be good.

/ IH 424 transmission question
Thanks elk.
That's what I thought. The pump and power strng do tap off the lift reservoir. Thought it was strange that the transmission would take more if you had these things even though it does not supply to the pump or steering:confused:
I did remove the plug and fluid came out so now I have to start working! lol.
Appreciate your input.

John