Engine not shutting down

/ Engine not shutting down #1  

rcer22

Tractor
Kubota 3430
Hi All
I have an older 23 HP tractor and I am having a rather annoying problem with it.
About a week ago I was having a cranking problem meaning I would go to crank the engine to start it and it would not crank. It seemed to be intermittent as it would work some of the time but not all the time. I wound up running a jumper wire to the starter just to start the engine so I could use the machine. That problem has not been happening since the first time I used the jumper wire. Things seemed to be OK. Now I have a problem shutting the engine down. I turn the key to the off position and the engine still continues to run. After repeatedly turning to key to the off position it has finally shut down. So that leaves me trying to find out why.
It's a 23 HP 3 cylinder diesel about a 1985 with a glide shift transmission. Not HST.

Any suggestions are welcome. I have no wiring diagrams to look at and all the troubleshooting guide is consult your Kubota dealer.

Much appreciated.

/ Engine not shutting down #2  
I'm not much of an expert, but have you tried a different switch? I think that is where I would start troubleshooting.

/ Engine not shutting down #3  
I had a similar problem with a JD 855. Cleaning the air filter fixering system fixed the problem. It appears the restricted air flow was alowing the engine to suck fuel through the fuel pump. Or that is my guess!

/ Engine not shutting down #4  
(Correction to last post) I had a similar problem with a JD 855. Cleaning the air filtering system fixed the problem. It appears the restricted air flow was alowing the engine to suck fuel through the fuel pump. Or that is my guess!

/ Engine not shutting down #5  
I'm not much of an expert, but have you tried a different switch? I think that is where I would start troubleshooting.
I would start there also.

/ Engine not shutting down #6  
Yep try a new key switch, if that fails it will be your shut off solenoid.:thumbsup:

/ Engine not shutting down #7  
which model of kubota are you referring to? are you sure that the HST safety switch or pto switch is preventing from starting?

If you cant shut it off now, perhaps your kubota has a fuse blown for the shutoff solenoid?

/ Engine not shutting down #8  
Sounds to me like you have loose or corroded electrical connections or a bad switch. The engine stop solenoid has to be energized to stop.

/ Engine not shutting down #9  
Are you guys sure about how that fuel stop solenoid works.

I always thought that the fuel solenoid had to be energized to allow fuel to flow, so when you turn the key off, the solenoid blocks fuel. Turn the key on, fuel flows.

Default mode should be no fuel.

It could depend on whether the solenoid is pushing or pulling a lever also.

Last edited:
   / Engine not shutting down #10  
On that era of Kubota it has a fuel shut-off timer relay that gets energized when you turn the key off, after 8 seconds it deactivates power to the solenoid, the default position on the solenoid is run. With the problem you are descriping it sounds more like the linkage on the fuel shut-off solenoid is hanging up, out of adjustment, or has some debris in it. It could also be in the timer/relay, the solenoid, or the connections between them.