What is the minimum trailer needed to safely haul a bobcat?

/ What is the minimum trailer needed to safely haul a bobcat? #1  

dirt ditch

Veteran Member
Tractor
Have been looking at used equipment trailers. Would like one with 7000 lb. axles but am wondering what would be the minimum trailer axles needed to haul a 7753? could 5000 lb. or 6000 lb. axles work? I'd like to know in case one comes up at a really good price. Then, would that trailer be able to haul a larger bobcat like a 863 or 205, maybe even a 220 if I traded up? any input would be appreciated.

/ What is the minimum trailer needed to safely haul a bobcat? #2  
You look up the weight of the equipment, add a few thousand pounds of attachments, then add 20% and you know how much the trailer needs to handle. Then your truck needs to be rated for the trailer. Trailers should have a gross and net rating based on frame construction, tires, axles and attachment to towing vehicle. Axle rating is just part of the picture. Trailer Loading and Towing Guide

Google search says the 863 weighs 7100 pounds. You add a rock hound, an auger or whatever potential equipment you want to haul. 7753 weighs 5500 pounds.

/ What is the minimum trailer needed to safely haul a bobcat?
I should be alright with my 2500HD, but it looks like I need to keep looking for a trailer with 7000 lb. axles. thanks

/ What is the minimum trailer needed to safely haul a bobcat? #4  
Do the published weights include the bucket?

/ What is the minimum trailer needed to safely haul a bobcat?
No, I think that is the base weight of the units themselves. The 68" bucket on my 7753 is 516 lb.. My JD 72" 4 in 1 weighs 920 lb..

/ What is the minimum trailer needed to safely haul a bobcat? #6  
You also have to make sure that the trailer capacity doesnt exceed your truck towing capacity. It has been said here on TBN many times that some states regard you as being illegal towing an empty trailer if the trailer placard says if is rated for 15000# GVW and your truck is only good for 14,500 then you get ticketed. So look at your truck placard and see what it is good for in hauling weight and towing weight and start from there. If it wont handle the equipment you plan to tow, you may have to look for a bigger truck. Hey they have a new F450 Ford out now in pickup bed style. Im not a Ford man myself but if I had to haul 14000+, I might consider it.