Building an "old fashioned appearance" new barn

/ Building an "old fashioned appearance" new barn #1  

schweizer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE Hst
Hello guys & gals,

There are lots of threads here about building barns, but most of the barns have metal siding and are modern. I've always liked the look of the 100 year old hay barns that nobody builds anymore. They are pieces of history that are disappearing.

Tomorrow, I'm starting to build my barn in earnest. I'm going to use rough sawn planking for siding and it would be nice to find an old hay trolley for the ceiling to move stuff around with.

36' x 36' foot print
Gravel floor (for now) ~12" deep
12/12 roof pitch for the central section.
16' OC center aisle w/ 10' wide side bays
12' deep bays x 3
16' x 24' loft
Under Loft floor clearance = 10'
Posts will be 6"x6" pressure treated, set 4 ft in concrete.

Most of it I'll build myself (hopefully), but I'm having a contractor come and set the posts plumb and true in concrete tomorrow. Here in Southern Oregon, I didn't have to get a building permit for an agricultural building, but I did have to sign an affidavit showing I intended to use it for animals/tractors. I did need to get approval from the county planning department and DEQ (nearby septic check). Plans will not be checked and there will be no inspections.

So far, I've excavated the site, and dug down into the hillside for drainage. You can see the water and electrical pipes ready to extend to appropriate locations. The shipping container that I've used for storage for the past 4 years will hopefully be gone tomorrow. After the posts are set 4' deep in concrete, then I'll bring in 2" gravel and 3/4" minus gravel over top. Why put in nice gravel first, and then dig through it into clay w/ the auger to set the posts, right? Here are the first pics to document this project. Enjoy!

Marcus

Western2.png

barn_build1.jpg

barn_build2.jpg

barn_build3.jpg

western.png

barn_truss.png

/ Building an "old fashioned appearance" new barn #2  
Cool -- keep us posted with pics as you go along. I want to have some of my pines sawn up for siding to build my barn next year.

/ Building an "old fashioned appearance" new barn #3  
Work in some y bracing on the sides roofs attaching to the main section. It is to prevent scissor action. The posts down help, but need some more diagonal bracing. Most old barns were sheathed and then clapboarded to keep the wind and rain out (and snow). Post pics- looks good!.:laughing:

/ Building an "old fashioned appearance" new barn #4  
the y bracing great idea what size post are you using

/ Building an "old fashioned appearance" new barn #6  
You live in a beautiful area, love the mountains! Please keep the pics coming.

/ Building an "old fashioned appearance" new barn #7  
Do you have a door "design"? Like cross buck or "z"? I sawed some pine last year for barn doors but can't find a design that fits me.

/ Building an "old fashioned appearance" new barn
No, I don't have a barn door design yet, but I'm open to all ideas. Of course my wife (designer/artist) may have some thoughts on this....

edit: I'm the barn designer and engineer. She's the graphic designer.

Last edited:
   / Building an "old fashioned appearance" new barn #9  
I know you are going for a certain look, but seeing that roof slope change like that makes me think leak leak leak. Make sure you put obscene amounts of flashing there.

since the front and rear look likey they will be closed off in the top half, put lots of structure there to keep the building from leaning or spreading

/ Building an "old fashioned appearance" new barn #10  
Looks good. I love old barns around here. You can find old hay trolleys and even barn door hardware at antique shops.