Cub Cadet RZT Zero turn PTO and reverse issues

/ Cub Cadet RZT Zero turn PTO and reverse issues #1  

wat5150

Tractor
cub cadet rzt 50
I have a 4 year old Cub RZT. Right now when I go in reverse the safety shutdown of the pto occurs as it should. The only thing is my pto doesnt engage immediately after. I have to wait and go back and forth. Sometimes it doesnt engage for several minutes. Does anyon think this is a pto clutch or switch issue?? Also how can I disengage the reverse pto shut off? i know its a safety feature but I mow many lawns and it is a major pain plus it seems like it is hard on the mower to always start and stop the pto. Anyone help me out with this? Thank you.

/ Cub Cadet RZT Zero turn PTO and reverse issues #2  
Check online at the Cub website to see if they have an online manuel for your model to see if there is an override feature.

On some residential mowers, you can override the PTO clutch by pulling up on the PTO switch before engaging the reverse pedal. If that works, you may find that you can release the PTO switch after you begin moving in reverse.

I don't have a good answer on why the PTO won't reengage as you describe, so it may be time to call the Cub dealer to see if they have any suggestions.

Hope this helps-good luck!

/ Cub Cadet RZT Zero turn PTO and reverse issues #3  
Way back in 1995, I bought a new Cub Cadet lawn tractor and learned the PTO disengaged when I went to reverse. The dealer said he could not legally disconnect that feature, but his mechanic did and told me to not tell the boss. But I didn't know any ZTRs would do that. I've only had 2 Toros and can mow forward or backwards with them.

/ Cub Cadet RZT Zero turn PTO and reverse issues #4  
Way back in 1995, I bought a new Cub Cadet lawn tractor and learned the PTO disengaged when I went to reverse. The dealer said he could not legally disconnect that feature, but his mechanic did and told me to not tell the boss. But I didn't know any ZTRs would do that. I've only had 2 Toros and can mow forward or backwards with them.

My daughter had a JD yard tractor that did the same thing. It was the most annoying feature. I bypassed it because I cut backward alot when going around trees. I bought a new at tractor supply and it did that. They told me what I neeeded to do, but won't do it. You can guess what I did when I got it home.

/ Cub Cadet RZT Zero turn PTO and reverse issues #5  
If you turn it off then back on via the PTO switch, does it come right back on?
If so, I would guess that your reverse switch is sticking in "reverse" mode or the relay that runs the reverse lockout is flaking out.

Aaron Z

/ Cub Cadet RZT Zero turn PTO and reverse issues
Sometimes when it shuts off in reverse the pto will not immediately engage. It usually does this after or during a rather large lawn.

/ Cub Cadet RZT Zero turn PTO and reverse issues #7  
Sometimes when it shuts off in reverse the pto will not immediately engage. It usually does this after or during a rather large lawn.

Ok, but if you shut it off by pushing in the PTO switch (without going into reverse), will it turn right back on, or does it sometimes refuse to re-engage?

Aaron Z

/ Cub Cadet RZT Zero turn PTO and reverse issues
If I have used the mower a lot that particular day and I go into reverse it shuts off and wont come on. I will then turn pto off and turn back on with no dice. A couple of times I have moved the belt back and forth along the pulleys and then I get up and try pto and it will engage. maybe coincidence?

/ Cub Cadet RZT Zero turn PTO and reverse issues #9  
If I have used the mower a lot that particular day and I go into reverse it shuts off and wont come on. I will then turn pto off and turn back on with no dice. A couple of times I have moved the belt back and forth along the pulleys and then I get up and try pto and it will engage. maybe coincidence?

Lets say you use it a lot and just turn off the deck WITHOUT going into reverse, does it still do it?

What I am trying to get at is the following: There the relay that trips when you go into reverse. That requires that you push the PTO switch in then pull it back out before the deck will turn back on.
My guess is that one of two things is happening:
1. The reverse switch is sticking in "reverse" so the mower still thinks that you are backing up
2. The relay is not returning to "normal" when the reverse switch goes back to normal.

You can test #2 by getting up when the deck is on and seeing if the deck comes right back on, or if the deck stays off.

Aaron Z

/ Cub Cadet RZT Zero turn PTO and reverse issues #10  
I've spent a LOT of time recently working on my PTO flakiness so I sympathize. Keep in mind that there are 2 reverse switches on the RZT (at least the RZT 22). Both of them have to be released for the circuit to open and tell the PTO to shut off. That is, if only one lever is in reverse, it won't shut off. So, when you put them both out of reverse, they would *BOTH* have to be 'stuck' in order for that to be the problem. Not likely. The fact that you seem to have more trouble after the mower is hot might indicate problems with the relay, or (gasp) the PTO itself. Good luck!