Did I go overboard on this quick attach?

/ Did I go overboard on this quick attach? #1  

zmansmac

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7500
One of the great things I like about browsing the TractorByNet forums is seeing all the great ideas that members have. My latest build, like many others, took it's inspiration from another member's project. In this case I have to thank 600rider. The difference was that 600rider apparently has access to heavy metal working equipment to build his version of a loader quick attach. My equipment is more limited: drill press, small horizontal band saw, compact bender and hand held grinders. I used 2 inch square tube for the quick attach part and 3 inch tube, with the seam side cut off, for the part that attaches to the loader. The first picture shows the progression of this fabrication. I then used 2 inch square tube, 3/16 wall, to connect the two ends together. The first attachment to my loader is shown in the 2nd picture. I knew this would make the overall weight a little more, but it allowed me to easily mount a hitch receiver and hooks to the assembly (picture 3). An added benefit is that I can "stow" the hitch backwards on the quick attach when the bucket or another implement is attached (picture 4). The assembly, without pins, weighs 35 pounds.

JohnZ
B7500

Attachments

• initial progression.jpg
    initial progression.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 2,395
  • unpainted on tractor.jpg
    unpainted on tractor.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 3,118
  • final without bucket.jpg
    final without bucket.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 2,991
  • final with bucket.jpg
    final with bucket.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 3,088
Last edited:
   / Did I go overboard on this quick attach? #2  
zmansmac said:
One of the great things I like about browsing the TractorByNet forums is seeing all the great ideas that members have. My latest build, like many others, took it's inspiration from another member's project. In this case I have to thank 600rider. The difference was that 600rider apparently has access to heavy metal working equipment to build his version of a loader quick attach. My equipment is more limited: drill press, small horizontal band saw, compact bender and hand held grinders. I used 2 inch square tube for the quick attach part and 3 inch tube, with the seam side cut off, for the part that attaches to the loader. The first picture shows the progression of this fabrication. I then used 2 inch square tube, 3/16 wall, to connect the two ends together. The first attachment to my loader is shown in the 2nd picture. I knew this would make the overall weight a little more, but it allowed me to easily mount a hitch receiver and hooks to the assembly (picture 3). An added benefit is that I can "stow" the hitch backwards on the quick attach when the bucket or another implement is attached (picture 4). The assembly, without pins, weighs 35 pounds.

JohnZ
B7500

AWESOME- nice work!

/ Did I go overboard on this quick attach? #3  
I was thinking you did with the cross tube before, I saw the hitch receiver on it.
Looks good.
So what else to you have to quickly attach onto it?

/ Did I go overboard on this quick attach?
Thanks for all the kind words. Yes, the quick attachment is specific to my Kubota B7500 with LA302 loader but width and pin spacing are the only differences for other loaders. I currently have a FEL mounted snow blade, which didn't get much use this past winter here in SE Michigan. And I recently acquired a used set of 42 inch forks that I will be making a frame for. That's the biggest reason for making the quick attach, along with implements getting heavier in my old age. :)

/ Did I go overboard on this quick attach? #6  

JohnZ
B7500

Looks good.:thumbsup: How did you bend the "J" pieces of steel you welded into the tubing.?

James K0UA

/ Did I go overboard on this quick attach? #7  
Looks good.:thumbsup: How did you bend the "J" pieces of steel you welded into the tubing.?

James K0UA

He used his compact bender. I am curious as to what size drill press or type of bit you used to drill what looks like 1 and a quarter inch holes. Mine has trouble with 1".

/ Did I go overboard on this quick attach?
Yes, I used my compact bender. This was the limit for it: 2 inch wide x 1/4 inch steel. My drill press is a Harbor Freight unit that I bought over 25 years ago. It's a floor model and I don't know the hp off hand. You can stall it with larger bits if you try to cut too aggressively. I only have standard drill bits up to 1 inch. You have a good eye Arrow, it is a 1 1/4 inch hole. I bought a Milwaukee bi-metal hole saw to drill it, slow speed of course but it worked very well.

/ Did I go overboard on this quick attach? #10  
Yes, I used my compact bender. This was the limit for it: 2 inch wide x 1/4 inch steel. My drill press is a Harbor Freight unit that I bought over 25 years ago. It's a floor model and I don't know the hp off hand. You can stall it with larger bits if you try to cut too aggressively. I only have standard drill bits up to 1 inch. You have a good eye Arrow, it is a 1 1/4 inch hole. I bought a Milwaukee bi-metal hole saw to drill it, slow speed of course but it worked very well.

cool, I missed that somehow in your original post I see it now.. Thanks

James K0UA