Gannon Earthcavator--Too Big?

/ Gannon Earthcavator--Too Big? #1  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
Looking at a used 6' Earthcavator but concerned that it may be too much for my Kubota B9200 HSTD with FEL (22.5 HP) What do you guys think?
Edit: Might add that the tractor with FEL weighs in at a little over 2500 pounds.
Edit: The Kubota is a FWA with turf tires.

Attachments

• Earthcavator1.jpg
    Earthcavator1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 727
Last edited:
   / Gannon Earthcavator--Too Big? #2  
I'd say too big. With your turf tires you are just going to spin the wheels if the unit is pulling any amount of dirt.

MarkV

/ Gannon Earthcavator--Too Big?
   / Gannon Earthcavator--Too Big? #4  
likely too big....I'd only purchase after trying it with your tractor in your kind of dirt....I could see it being OK for loose sand....never work in clay with 22hp.

/ Gannon Earthcavator--Too Big? #5  
The equipment is hardly ever too big, the puller is just to small. If the price is really good, consider buying it and cutting it down to a 4-5 foot by just cutting off the end plates, shortened the span and rewelding. Or just use as is. Nothing says you have to pull it with the scarifies to the hilt or dirt falling over the back. When it gets as full as you can pull, just lighten up the load by raising the lift arms. It will do a fine job on spreading gravel and sand as it is.

/ Gannon Earthcavator--Too Big? #6  
Link says it is 65" which is an odd size so it may actually be a 60" which should be ok with your tractor if you go lightly. I would rather have a blade too heavy than too light. If you can pick it up, then you can lighten the load but you cant make a light blade cut.

/ Gannon Earthcavator--Too Big? #7  
Since Craig's List are time limited... I'll add the text and other photos. BTW, Nice Unit.

"...HD Woods/Gannon roll over box scrapper / ripper. 65" Just pull lever to push, pull or rip. I bought new and have hardly used it. Has just sat around a long time. $900..."

/ Gannon Earthcavator--Too Big? #8  
Since Craig's List are time limited... I'll add the text and other photos. BTW, Nice Unit.

"...HD Woods/Gannon roll over box scrapper / ripper. 65" Just pull lever to push, pull or rip. I bought new and have hardly used it. Has just sat around a long time. $900..."

I'm going to say 6' is too big, 65" is probably too big, but I'd make an offer anyway. Try it and if it doesn't work, sell it, nothing lost.

I can pull my 60" box blade, probably in high, but certainly in mid all day long as fast as I like with a CK30 HST (5500# as equipped with box blade) with R4's, but I can also stop it dead in it's tracks in low with the rippers fully down and top link shortened. So, you'll definitely be able to pull it, but at what point it becomes too much will depend on a lot of things and you'd have to try it to find out.

/ Gannon Earthcavator--Too Big? #9  
The equipment is hardly ever too big, the puller is just to small. If the price is really good, consider buying it and cutting it down to a 4-5 foot by just cutting off the end plates, shortened the span and rewelding. Or just use as is. Nothing says you have to pull it with the scarifies to the hilt or dirt falling over the back. When it gets as full as you can pull, just lighten up the load by raising the lift arms. It will do a fine job on spreading gravel and sand as it is.

Easier said than done with anything that has moving parts and yes Gannon made 65" roll-overs. I have one.

This unit is to big for the OP's tractor IMO. ;)

/ Gannon Earthcavator--Too Big?
The seller says the blades actually measure 6' (72"). I thought about cutting it down to 5' but the bolt hole spacing in the blades might be a problem. I'm guessing, by counting holes in the picture, that the first holes are 6" from each end. It would be difficult to add holes to the existing hardened blades and buying replacement 5' blades would probably be fairly expensive.