Hydraulic weed eater

/ Hydraulic weed eater #1  

Rhinorider

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B1550, Kioti DK45 HST
I have been kicking an idea in my head of building a tractor mounted hydraulic weed eater to cut steep banks with, and was wondering if anyone has done anything like this.

It is basically like a boom mounted brush hog, but only a whole lot lighter. I have access to some 2" fiberglass solid rods about 10 feet long. I am thinking of using a hydraulic motor to spin up the head and use either small diameter steel rope or chain saw chain for cutters. 3 small cylinders to adjust the reas and angle of the boom and head.

I could drive along the bottom of these steep banks and cut 1/2 way up, then drive along the top and reach the other half.

I'm thinking 3 pt mount, its own set of controls, cut width 36-48", total reach about 15 feet, a spring loaded break-away mount for the boom in case of hitting an unseen object that would other wise break the boom.

What do you all think of this idea?

/ Hydraulic weed eater #2  
I like it and would like to do the same. I seen a picture of one the guy used a 2 cycle engine and only about a 21" cut, it looked real good. I have had my eye out for a old lawnboy, but no go. I don't know much about hyd. motors as for sizing. Do you think the 2" fiberglass solid rods would be better and lighter then alum.?

/ Hydraulic weed eater
Lee, I think these rods are about the same weight, maybe just a tad heavier, but I am sure they are stronger.

/ Hydraulic weed eater #4  
Here is the PowerTrac boom cutter, and some others built by a PT owner Stray.

Attachments

• 753157-side mower streched out.jpg
    753157-side mower streched out.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 6,589
  • boommower1.jpg
    boommower1.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 7,666
  • boomred1.jpg
    boomred1.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 3,204
  • hyd slope mower stray.jpg
    hyd slope mower stray.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 5,546
   / Hydraulic weed eater
Yea JJ thats what I'm talking about. Only I need a longer reach, the hills here in WV are higher. :laughing: I'll take some pics of what I have to cut. Maybe I should rethink it and mount a brush hog on a small dozer.:thumbsup:

/ Hydraulic weed eater #7  
I have been kicking an idea in my head of building a tractor mounted hydraulic weed eater to cut steep banks with, and was wondering if anyone has done anything like this.

It is basically like a boom mounted brush hog, but only a whole lot lighter. I have access to some 2" fiberglass solid rods about 10 feet long. of using a hydraulic motor to spin up the head and use either small diameter steel rope or chain saw chain for cutters. 3 small cylinders to adjust the reas and angle of the boom and head.

I could drive along the bottom of these steep banks and cut 1/2 way up, then drive along the top and reach the other half.

I'm thinking 3 pt mount, its own set of controls, cut width 36-48", total reach about 15 feet, a spring loaded break-away mount for the boom in case of hitting an unseen object that would other wise break the boom.
* I am thinking about useing small diameter steel rope
What do you all think of this steel rope idea?
*Do not use steel rope .
It's dangerous because the ends fray easy and become harmful flying projectiles when they break off.

/ Hydraulic weed eater #8  
Here they use a boom with about three hyd motors on them with large saw blades to cut tree limbs. Not sure you want blades on the ground in WV due to rocks. A few years ago there was a company in Ohio named something like Mico Mowers who made a boom mounted hyd motor string trimmer. Don't find them right off on Internet so no idea if have name wrong or what.

/ Hydraulic weed eater #9  
Rent a 'hydraulic' goat.
Bunch of sheep will do the same; will simultaneously add hydraulic fertilizer to the equation.:licking:

/ Hydraulic weed eater #10  
I have thought about something like this for quite awhile myself. My app is similar to yours, banks along a path, banks along a creek,etc. and other areas that I can't run a lawnmower,brush-hog...or the stuff is too heavy for a weed-eater.

The other day, after reading here....it re-vitalized my interest.

I have a hydraulic concrete saw that is 14". I put a 14" carbide tooth wood blade on it, and temporarily C-clamped it under my backhoe bucket. I breifly tested it by putting the boom straight out at an angle and then tilted the bucket for the blade angle...and drove down one of my paths with a hill on one side.....it works darn good....I then backed into a huge multiflora bush and proceeded to wipe it out.
I was controlling the saw with the remote rear hydraulics via a selector valve near my seat. The trigger on the saw held with a tie-wrap.

I think I will now make an adapter that bolts on to the buckets' water weep holes and clip onto the cutting edge too.
One thing I did notice that is a problem, is when lowering my main boom...it is way too fast of a drop...not a problem digging, but too fast for this thing. Too easy to ruin an expensive saw and/or blade.

I am still going to do it though....I will add a skid plate type of thing so I can't mash the thing into the ground. I don't need to cut that short anyhow.

Hopefully I can post a few pics soon.