GT2550 PTO Problem

/ GT2550 PTO Problem #1  

GRB

Tractor
2005 Cub GT 2550
Good Afternoon,

I have a 2006 GT 2550 with 350 hours on it. I did some regular maintenance yesterday (change oil, clean pre-filter, grease, switch out blades for newly sharpened, washed, etc.) This morning, I went out to mow and the PTO suddenly now comes on, runs for a minute or two and then shuts off. Pull it on again and it will run for a minute or so, then shut off. I thought maybe I got some water in the switch, so I pulled it and hit it with some De-Oxit, but the issue remains.

Sound like just coincidence that the PTO would fail or did I get something way to wet when I washed it yesterday?

Thanks for any input.

/ GT2550 PTO Problem #2  
would first chk battery - a marginal batt will let that happen.

M/W, lose the hose or pressure water wash thing - L&G tractors don't like it - they are not designed/built to withstand the corrosion that happens at elect connections/switches/etc. Better to use comressed air or an electric leafblower after each cutting session.. then just a damp rag only on body as needed.

/ GT2550 PTO Problem
Thanks for the response. I finally figured it out this evening. The relay for the PTO up under the dash was factory wire-tied to the wiring harness with the open end up, so evidently I got water in there while washing the tractor. I took it apart and it was definitely wet. Dried it out, used some De-oxit and viola...Runs like a champ.

I normally just use compressed air to clean it, but I had been mowing a couple of days after rain and it had gunk stuck all over it. Learned a good lesson, guess I will make sure I don't get it wet under the hood next time.

/ GT2550 PTO Problem #4  
Hope you do not mind , the box on the back of your mower could you get a closer photo please :thumbsup:

/ GT2550 PTO Problem
Tracter, here you go. It is just a Stack-On tool box from Tractor Supply and couple of pieces of angle iron bolted to the frame rails.

Attachments

• Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 427
  • OpenToolbox.jpg
    OpenToolbox.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 348
   / GT2550 PTO Problem #6  
Looks good that deserves a double thumbsup :thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ GT2550 PTO Problem #7  
The relay for the PTO up under the dash was factory wire-tied to the wiring harness with the open end up, so evidently I got water in there while washing the tractor. I took it apart and it was definitely wet. Dried it out, used some De-oxit and viola...Runs like a champ.

Good find GRB!

Thanks for posting the follow-up on that. I do recall having to tidy up a lot of the wiring on my 2005 model year 2544. The bundle(s) of relay pigtails on mine originally looked like someone got a running start and stomped them in.

Joel